Brake Trouble

badbaz

I'm at about 300 miles now. Not really had much use other than necessity and from the word go I felt the front brakes weren't much good and noisy.

Now today I had to do a 100 mile round trip, 4 adults and luggage and the brakes ARE noisy. There's also a fair bit of brake dust appearing.

Anyone else notice this or had issues? I'll monitor it but if it doesn't go away it'll be dealer bound :'(

When I say noisy I mean rumbling when coming down from 70mph to a stop. If anyone has got it they'll know exactly what I mean.

That aside, the car is bloody good :yes:

Brake dust is normal. It can be many reasons why the brakes (or something else) is noisy when braking. If you don't understand it you should have it checked. Is the noise continuous or does it depend on the speed of the car? Also you should check the screws on the wheels if they are tight.

I'm at about 300 miles now. Not really had much use other than necessity and from the word go I felt the front brakes weren't much good and noisy.

Now today I had to do a 100 mile round trip, 4 adults and luggage and the brakes ARE noisy. There's also a fair bit of brake dust appearing.

Anyone else notice this or had issues? I'll monitor it but if it doesn't go away it'll be dealer bound :'(

When I say noisy I mean rumbling when coming down from 70mph to a stop. If anyone has got it they'll know exactly what I mean.

That aside, the car is bloody good :yes:

When I first got my Superb 12 months ago, my main complaint was that the brakes, if anything, were too sharp. They took several hundred miles to run in, and I have got used to them, but they are still powerful enough and sharp enough to dig in if I am not careful. The brakes have always produced a fair amount of brake dust, most modern braking systems do, but they have never been excessively noisy.

If you are having problems, get it looked at by the dealer.

Rust on the discs because a car is used infrequently can cause rumbling. It could be you have discs that were already rusting before you got the car. It has been known to happen. Or perhaps you have a bad batch of discs or pads. It is also possible that you have a wheel bearing or a disc that is a little loose. This will knock the pads back too far when running, and then allow vibration when it is loaded up by braking.

It may be nothing to do with those suggestions, but if you are worried about the brakes, get them checked urgently.

When I first got my Superb 12 months ago, my main complaint was that the brakes, if anything, were too sharp. They took several hundred miles to run in, and I have got used to them, but they are still powerful enough and sharp enough to dig in if I am not careful. The brakes have always produced a fair amount of brake dust, most modern braking systems do, but they have never been excessively noisy.

If you are having problems, get it looked at by the dealer.

Rust on the discs because a car is used infrequently can cause rumbling. It could be you have discs that were already rusting before you got the car. It has been known to happen. Or perhaps you have a bad batch of discs or pads. It is also possible that you have a wheel bearing or a disc that is a little loose. This will knock the pads back too far when running, and then allow vibration when it is loaded up by braking.

It may be nothing to do with those suggestions, but if you are worried about the brakes, get them checked urgently.

Not worried guys, disappointed more than anything. I'm a mechanic, I just wanted to see if anyone else had any issues. I think this car stood for a month at the dealer, I'll need to have a proper look and see if he discs have any signs of rust on the inside. Updates to follow.

Good to hear, mine have been fine since new, albeit very sharp, especially after coming from a Mk.3 Mondeo that required quite a heavy foot.

I still occasionally headbutt the windscreen, but thats not the cars fault just me.

Good to hear, mine have been fine since new, albeit very sharp, especially after coming from a Mk.3 Mondeo that required quite a heavy foot.

I still occasionally headbutt the windscreen, but thats not the cars fault just me.

you think the Superb's breaks are sharp? you want to have a go of a Citroen! - OMG! - 2 years ago, my old folks had a C3 Exclusive, and the brakes were horrendously sharp! - you couldn't cough, sneeze or breathe whilst breaking, as you would be through the windscreen!

Al.

you think the Superb's breaks are sharp? you want to have a go of a Citroen! - OMG! - 2 years ago, my old folks had a C3 Exclusive, and the brakes were horrendously sharp! - you couldn't cough, sneeze or breathe whilst breaking, as you would be through the windscreen!

Al.

Years ago I had a Citroen CX. Lovely car but the breaks were either on or off, nothing in between. And the steering was soooo sharp you would be up a hedge if you sneezed whilst holding the steering wheel.

It takes time to bed the brakes in, and to get the discs run in , and i have to admit the brakes on our greenline are very strong...only apply light pressure and the car stops very well...i've no idea what an emergency stop will be like...i imagine its like everything going forward and the car rapidly pulling up with the abs on....maybe thats why they installed knee air bags !! :giggle: