Water Pump replacement with Cambelt

right, firstly i got my water pump replaced on my VRS two weeks ago when i got the cambelt changed. I did this because it was over 7 years old. (£405 inc VAT with an MOT)

However, my wife has a 55 reg Golf Plus TDI. Its done 55000 miles. Should i get the garage to replace the water pump on that at the same time as the cambelt? Or would it be ok to keep the old one?

(i know its not a VW forum but they are all the same engines & parts!! )

Cheers.

right, firstly i got my water pump replaced on my VRS two weeks ago when i got the cambelt changed. I did this because it was over 7 years old. (£405 inc VAT with an MOT)

However, my wife has a 55 reg Golf Plus TDI. Its done 55000 miles. Should i get the garage to replace the water pump on that at the same time as the cambelt? Or would it be ok to keep the old one?

(i know its not a VW forum but they are all the same engines & parts!! )

Cheers.

When I had my cam belt changed after 4 years (44 000 miles) at a Skoda garage, they said don't bother changing the water pump.

Change it, as the waterpump is cheap and whilst its easy to get at with the cambelt off its a no brainer really. The cambelt also drives the waterpump, so if the pump fails then you will need to spend all that money again to change a cheap part. The plastic impellors on the waterpump are prone to failure, so the chances of it needing changing soon after are quiet high.

Change it, as the waterpump is cheap and whilst its easy to get at with the cambelt off its a no brainer really. The cambelt also drives the waterpump, so if the pump fails then you will need to spend all that money again to change a cheap part. The plastic impellors on the waterpump are prone to failure, so the chances of it needing changing soon after are quiet high.

Surely this is a mileage related change?

The main parts to fail on the water pump could be the impellers or (rarely) the bearing. The failure mode for these items is fatigue.

The failure modes for the cam belt are wear (mileage related) and degradation (age related), which is why there is a 4 year/60000 mile replacement guideline for the belt.

On my car after 4 years but only 40000 miles, I decided that it was unlikely that the water pump should need replacing.