loss of power vrs fabia

chris888

hi everyone,

had a problem over the last week which has occured 3 times. when pulling away from 20-30mph it feels like there is no turbo working on the car....... if you stop turn it off, fire back up, it drives as normal. no engine warning lamp etc..

has anyone got any ideas, i was thinking possibly MAF problem?

thanks

hi everyone,

had a problem over the last week which has occured 3 times. when pulling away from 20-30mph it feels like there is no turbo working on the car....... if you stop turn it off, fire back up, it drives as normal. no engine warning lamp etc..

has anyone got any ideas, i was thinking possibly MAF problem?

thanks

that sounds like a turbo fault. the vnt geometry in the turbos are very common for seizing causing overboost thus putting the car into limp mode or no turbo as you describe. this fault does not usually occour all that frequent to begin with but as soot build up in the turbo grows it gets worse. just an educated guess without seeing the car tho.

I've just replace the seal and clip on the lower boost pipe, i think all the rest of the pipes have no leaks?

its doing around 44mpg which seems fairly constant but does appear to be smoking a little more than normal. there also seems to be a second or so delay before power kicks in?

i do hope its not the turbo! can they be stripped and cleaned?

cheers everyone

Those cleaners are not that good. You are better off spending a day removing the turbo, splitting it open (not as bad as it sounds) and degunking it. I was told by a turbo expert though that even this won't restore the turbo back to perfect original working order, but I bet it wouldn't be far off. :)

Good way to check for sticking vanes is remove vacuum hose from top of actuator behind engine, and try and push down on the rod. It is pretty stiff as standard but it will be locked solid if the VNT is stuck together with soot.

i think i'll try moving the actuator arm and see what we have goin on! i really dont like the egr valve idea and all the 'gunk' going into the system.

i bombed off my old egr on my first fabia, it had done 80k and was just about sized and full of gunk, il currently looking for another egr delete for my current fabia

aye even blankingit off would do the business but having the engine waring lamp on all the time would get on my wick!

mine was off if a was just going round town etc but use to gan off if a was blasting about on full power all the time, just remeber to fit the blanking plate as low down as u can or the flexi pipe on the upper part that pipe will break off at the flexi part leading to no boost and a distinct tractor like noise

mine was off if a was just going round town etc but use to gan off if a was blasting about on full power all the time, just remeber to fit the blanking plate as low down as u can or the flexi pipe on the upper part that pipe will break off at the flexi part leading to no boost and a distinct tractor like noise

well the fault has developed today brought on the management light. I've had the code read and it came up as p-0299 anybody had any experience with this?

Cheers

well the fault has developed today brought on the management light. I've had the code read and it came up as p-0299 anybody had any experience with this?

Cheers

Cheers

Cheers

if i remember correct from memory thats the code you will get from sticking geo in the windmill mate :'(

Well tonight i had a look at 2 things;-

1- check the egr was operating ok by sucking on the vacuum pipe and looking down the inlet pipe.

2- check the wastegate actuator and rod were moving correctly...... the rod linkage was a little 'sticky' so operating it in one hand, with a length of wire and a small amount of spray grease in the other lubricated the linkage. seemed to free off and has driven fine since?? no more power issue and management light........fingers crossed!

cheers everyone!

Well tonight i had a look at 2 things;-

1- check the egr was operating ok by sucking on the vacuum pipe and looking down the inlet pipe.

2- check the wastegate actuator and rod were moving correctly...... the rod linkage was a little 'sticky' so operating it in one hand, with a length of wire and a small amount of spray grease in the other lubricated the linkage. seemed to free off and has driven fine since?? no more power issue and management light........fingers crossed!

cheers everyone!

Hope all works out for you bud :yes: