Upgrading the Yeti boot light

So if I bought a pair I could fit one in my Yeti and one in my Roomster?

I sure think you can! This pack is meant for Octavias which have two boot lights. So yes you will get one for each car!

But don't you only get one lamp now?

http://lyxus.net/hjmh

Now says 'delivered as a one piece set'?

Well spotted that man.

In that case its just 34.99 Euro (gone up 5 euro) for the pair from the Octavia part of the 'shop';- http://www.superskoda.com/Skoda/OCTAVIA-II/Octavia-II-MEGA-powered-LED-dome-light-for-your-trunk

Edited by bahnstormer vrs

Awh. I did not read that. I just saw the lower price! Oh well, suits me fine as my Yeti has just one boot light! emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

Unless thay have changed it, you get two lamps in the set plus two sets of connecting wires which are not needed for the Yeti. All that is required is to remove the old lamp (what a sad candle that was) plug the new lamp in and refit. This may need slight "easing" of the hole with a craft knife.

Noticed that the Yeti price is 18 euros which is half the Octavia price so now probably only one light.

Edited by Terfyn

I read that as the Yeti specific one only having 1 light unit.

Here's my solution:

Bootlights.jpg

A pair of motorcycle DRL's fitted either side of the boot opening, with the wiring piggybacked off the current boot light.

I have also fitted the LED light (no knife work required - once I'd verifed that it was the same size as the existing fitment I just applied a bit of determined pushing!) and would agree that it is vast improvement.

I noticed on the packaging that one of the other VAG vehicles it fits is the Lamborghini Gallardo. So I could, at a push, say that I've "enhanced" my Skoda with Lambo parts!!

A pair of motorcycle DRL's fitted either side of the boot opening, with the wiring piggybacked off the current boot light.

That is a very neat solution Graham. I like it. emoticon-0148-yes.gif

Whilst not a Yeti, I use Cold Cathode tubes from a PC case in white, these give off a lovely bright flourescent light in the boot. I did the Mod on my Roomster, Superb and Prius and you can buy a pair of white tubes from most computer shops for under £10. I just popped the light connector off and then piggy backed the feed off the existing boot light.

It works really well. In the Roomster, because of the parcel shelf being removed at times I fitted them to the side of the boot and ran the wires behind the trim, The Cold Cathode tubes are only a few mm thick as well, in the current car they are just mounted to the boot compartment "roof" and on opening it, it's like something out of close encounters.

Not as easy or integrated as this solution, but could be an option for you Yetitisti that want more light in the boot on a more of a budget.

Edited by fluffmeister

You can just change the bulb with leds. Did that with all the interior lights in my VRS, wifeys Roomy and now in the Audi.

Got my LEDs from here:

http://www.hypercolo...W5W-radial.html

These are the LEDs you will need to fit. Stunning light compared to the original candle.

They do deliver to the UK and wont charge extrem shipping prices as SuperSkoda does.

Edited by magic62

You can just change the bulb with leds. Did that with all the interior lights in my VRS, wifeys Roomy and now in the Audi.

Got my LEDs from here:

http://www.hypercolo...W5W-radial.html

These are the LEDs you will need to fit. Stunning light compared to the original candle.

They do deliver to the UK and wont charge extrem shipping prices as SuperSkoda does.

Many thanks for that. Worth looking further in to...interior lights never seem very bright.

Trouble is, when you use the Google 'translate' button it says.....Easy installation

Our LED lamps are built with very little effort.

So if they not gonna put any effort in to building them I''m not sure i want 'em....... :rofl:

Seriously, though - thanks for the info.

I read that as the Yeti specific one only having 1 light unit.

Here's my solution:

Off t'internet by any chance Graham? Have you a link, and would you use the same unit if fitting again?

Or would you go down the "changing the bulb to LED" route in Magic62's post?

John H

Edited by speedsport

The Octy has two side lights, the Roomy (and I understood the Yeti too) only has one.

If I had to use the Roomy more often, I would have tried to light the boot from both sides.

The problem with the lighting only from one side is, if you block it it gets really dark.....

Is there any way of fitting the second one to the boot? I guess you would have to make a cut out in the plastic. How easy is it to piggy back onto the existing light, now replaced with the brighter one, which will now be very hard to remove!

Mike

Off t'internet by any chance Graham? Have you a link, and would you use the same unit if fitting again?

Or would you go down the "changing the bulb to LED" route in Magic62's post?

John H

John

these look similar, but mine were cheaper:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BLUE-LED-DAYLIGHT-RUNNING-LIGHTS-MERCEDES-FIT-/150493727142?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item230a2009a6

I would use the same again as I now have light both sides, whereas using the replacement lamp only gives light one side, and that could get covered with a full boot. I bought them a while back to fit as DRL's on the Freelander, but didn't fit them.

Next job is to do all the interior ones.

The problem with the lighting only from one side is, if you block it it gets really dark.....

Very good point. I have always fitted a second bootlight in every car I've owned.

Amongst various things on offer, these look interesting, and a great deal cheaper than the ones from Germany!

LED W5W replacements

Doesn't get around the issue of only one boot light though!

Edited by speedsport

It only has one SMD chip on it. emoticon-0145-shake.gif

The hypercolor ones have 2, 3 or 6. emoticon-0144-nod.gif

I only have the 6piece ones.

If you want it bright, you want it bright. emoticon-0103-cool.gif

Ah! yes, fair comment, Thanks

John

Amongst various things on offer, these look interesting, and a great deal cheaper than the ones from Germany!

LED W5W replacements

Doesn't get around the issue of only one boot light though!

Are these any good?...on Ebay. Seller is Zorin Industries. Sounds like they should feature in a James Bond Film.

The first is relacement bulb.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/161-168-194-T10-W5W-SUPER-WHITE-HID-LOOK-LED-FREE-POST-/160511888248?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item255f410b78

And this the second. I believe Graham used this firm to get his LED lights (correct me if I'm wrong)...these are a bit cheaper than the Mercedes ones......... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MEGA-BRIGHT-LED-LAMPS-MOTORBIKE-CAR-TRUCK-WHT-12V-/150460515957?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item2308254675

Stan,

not the same company but the lights look identical.

Tom,

would those fit into the boot light? They are directional as the LED's are on the front, whereas in the boot light don't they need to be on the side?

I know why the price has dropped on those original lights...there is only one in the pack now.

Here are the before and after photos (manual exposure so both identical)

Just a tiny piece of trimming required with a sharp knife and it pops in nicely B)

p623418872-4.jpg

p557842331-4.jpg

Edited by davehutch