Now I've seen everything -

The Plumber

While ordering some snow socks for my lads Fabia as it's going to be my alternative transport to feet emoticon-0136-giggle.gif I came across this 'insane' product My link

Anybody crazy enough to try it out on a Monster emoticon-0112-wondering.gif Personally think I'll stick to traditional winter tyres even if there 100% more expensive.

Regards,

TP

Fascinating :D

Er, like you Tim think I will be sticking to my Winter tyres. Would also love to see this tested. What does it look like? how does it wear out of the treads? How long would it last?

Someone might (just might!) make a lot of money out of that stuff if you could stock it on petrol forecourts.

Then again... :rofl:

There was something similar to this when I was in the motor trade over 30 years ago, never caught on. Just like fashion everything comes back in time.

It seems the product is European, maybe Italian, called Snow Chain Catena Liquida. I've checked the website on whois and it seems to belong to someone who's reselling the stuff here. Have a look at this link to an Italian website which includes a video of the product in action at the bottom of the page.

Click

The stuff might be useful in an emergency.

Stewart

There was something similar to this when I was in the motor trade over 30 years ago, never caught on. Just like fashion everything comes back in time.

I remember this stuff being on sale. (63 winter?) No idea if it ever worked but it has been around a long time.

I used the previous version of this product.

Driving up the Devils Elbow in a blizzard in my Mini I eventually came to halt after snaking across the whole width of the road a few times. I got out in the teeth a developing blizzard and sprayed the front tyres with Liquid Tyre Chain. The instructions said to spin the wheels (very easy) then wait for two minutes before driving off.

When I tried to pull away gently up the hill I stalled the engine as there was so much grip! The car powered up the hill with ease and got me home to Braemar.

The manufacturer said that the resin becomes very sticky in contact with water and would last for several miles on snowy roads. It will wear off when driving on a normal road surface. The following morning all that was left were white, powdery marks on the sidewalls.

Since then I have carried one of these in the car in winter in case of emergencies but never needed to use it. Nowadays they just close the snow gates at night on the Devils Elbow at the first sign of snow.