Fabia 1.9TDI diesel fuel filter change

Paul MR

Hi..

Can anybody tell me how to change the diesel fuel filter on a 57 plate Skoda Fabia 1.9TDI. According to the R.A.C man, its a ten minute job, no special tools needed, just a new filter and some spare diesel required. He's told me how to do it, but just wondering if anyome else has done it successfully?

Thanks

God knows how many ive done, no real need to prime, the electric lift pump will do that no problems.

If it does cut out it will soon restart. Its just a case of removing pipes and the return valve (remember to changethe seals on that) and pop it all back together.

I agree no priming needed. Just cycle the ignition on and off say 3/4 times.

Hi.. I put unleaded in the car instead of diesel. Three gallons of it, then drove home 1/2 mile and when I came to use the car to go out later that day it would'nt start, tried to start it three times and nothing. I then realised what I had done, hence calling out RAC to syphon off the petrol and clear fuel lines plus the diesel fuel filter. Car running fine now and have booked it into VW Audi garage to have a service and the fuel filter changed. Its something I won't do again for a long time, RAC man cost me £180. The thing is, I'm just waiting now to see what fails in the future as a result of mis-fueling. Car's only only done 10,000 miles.

Thanks for replies....

Hi.. I put unleaded in the car instead of diesel. Three gallons of it, then drove home 1/2 mile and when I came to use the car to go out later that day it would'nt start, tried to start it three times and nothing. I then realised what I had done, hence calling out RAC to syphon off the petrol and clear fuel lines plus the diesel fuel filter. Car running fine now and have booked it into VW Audi garage to have a service and the fuel filter changed. Its something I won't do again for a long time, RAC man cost me £180. The thing is, I'm just waiting now to see what fails in the future as a result of mis-fueling. Car's only only done 10,000 miles.

Thanks for replies....

P.S. Has ayone else on here been unfortunate enough to have mis-fueled their diesel PD tdi engine?

Don't Panic.... It'll be OK.... PDs are bombproof and the injectors will be fine. It stopped when the petrol came through as that doesnt ignite in a compression (diesel) engine. A bit of self protection even....Don't even think you need a filter change.

Only CR sh*te fails with petrol due to the FIAT inspired design (a fragile HP pump heavily reliant on lubricity of diesel fuel to prevent metal to metal contact followed by ridiculous pilot operated injectors that will choke on the tiniest bit of contamination.

Edited by xman

P.S. Has ayone else on here been unfortunate enough to have mis-fueled their diesel PD tdi engine?

No...fortunately. But I agree with Xman, your PD engine will be fine. No need to worry.