Begin to mod or not?

K7 VRS

Track days are different and lets say the Nurburgring too, i had a Mk1 Octy VRS pass me (in the P1) in the pouring rain at the ring in 2008. Yes it was my first lap (and i didnt want to prang my pride and joy or pay for down time on the track or armco)and i wasnt really going for it, but it did pass me and he wasnt hanging about. Also imho driver talent comes more into play in these environments.

yup lot of factors come into it, including the drivers ability.

But you can become detached from driving with too many driving aids, i have heard it said that evos and scoobys can make a bad driver good.

No doubt in the wet the 4x4 will prevail, i have just been impressed with several of the vrs cars i have been in that have had uprated diffs and how well they handle, also the transformation of my cars ability since i started changing everything over to uprated/tt parts has led me to believe all is not lost with a fwd car.

I think the best way to approach modifying your car sensibly is to just uprate things when they break, and don't change things that don't need to be changed.

For example, when a coilspring snaps, fit coilovers. When the breather hoses crumble away, fit a catch can. When the bushes are worn out, etc. etc.

You just need to promise yourself that you'll stick with the standard turbo and main engine components!

A Stage 1 remap, decent brake pads and suspension make the biggest and most cost effective improvement. As long as you don't start faffing around with the engine, you shouldn't spend too much.

I use my dad as my filter! I'll tell him how I want these lovely new wheels for example, and he will respond with "Why?" and "What's wrong with the old ones, are they broken?", which makes me try and justify things, which I often can't. He's saved me a lot of money over the years! I think's it's because he learnt the hard way when he was my age.....

I think it also puts a brighter look on things breaking too. When my clutch went, I was actually a little happy, because it was an opportunity to uprate something. Weird but true!

I think the best way to approach modifying your car sensibly is to just uprate things when they break, and don't change things that don't need to be changed.

For example, when a coilspring snaps, fit coilovers. When the breather hoses crumble away, fit a catch can. When the bushes are worn out, etc. etc.

You just need to promise yourself that you'll stick with the standard turbo and main engine components!

A Stage 1 remap, decent brake pads and suspension make the biggest and most cost effective improvement. As long as you don't start faffing around with the engine, you shouldn't spend too much.

I use my dad as my filter! I'll tell him how I want these lovely new wheels for example, and he will respond with "Why?" and "What's wrong with the old ones, are they broken?", which makes me try and justify things, which I often can't. He's saved me a lot of money over the years! I think's it's because he learnt the hard way when he was my age.....

I think it also puts a brighter look on things breaking too. When my clutch went, I was actually a little happy, because it was an opportunity to uprate something. Weird but true!

I like your approach mate and advice, my dad is my filter too lol, he made me think how much money i'd spent on my P1.

I kind of agree with that approach and wish i could stick with that, but in practise i am too impatient so it gets modded and good parts are replaced with better parts. :smirk: The only plus point is i am lucky with selling off the original parts and kind of making some money back. I also look for bargins and shop around.

I wondered when I would see you pop up on here Karl! I have no idea when it comes to your octy but would be good to see some pics of it if you have some.

Hope your well buddy,

Kirk :0)

Alright Kirk, didn't know you were even on here!!!! Im very well thanks, you still enjoying the fab VRS?

• 2 months later...

Decided instead of modding, i would just buy what i wanted out of the box.VRS is staying aswell, its just too good a car, plus girlfriend loves it too much!

Impreza WRX RA

IMG_1048.jpg

280 bhp standard

Edited by K7 VRS

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Well i have to say having the Scooby RA and the VRS has opened my eyes to what comfort is. The scoob is on cuscos and the ride rattles your fillings out, but its huge fun. The VRS is like silk compared to the hardcore nature of the RA,the VRS is still impressing me a year on after buying it.A truly amazing car for the money.