Er, they're not brilliant on fuel are they - or is it just me?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how do my mpg figures sound? i normally just put £30 a week of fuel in my car thats more than enough for the about of driving i do, my fuel light just came on tonight i looked down at my trip odometer thingy (always reset it when i put fuel in) and it was showing 117 miles, so thats 117 miles on £30 is that about normal?

I log all my miles split by business / company use and all petrol purchases, for tax purposes.

The car does around 17,000 - 18,000 miles per year, with a broad spread of urban, A-road and M-way driving. Generally ( whilst of course sticking to the appropriate speed limits etc.) I don't hang about either.

For the 12 months ending 31/10/10 consumption worked out at 35.874 mpg (rounded off to 36 ;) )

Seems pretty good to me.

• 2 weeks later...

"the rest town driving" - lots of cold starts and short journeys will kill your mpg.

In general, owners rarely get close to the official mpg figures due to way they are calculated.

I always use higher octane petrol such as V-Power regardless of the car, a habit I got when I lived in Germany where high octane lead-free was everywhere a long time before it caught on over here. I don't notice the price of fuel as I long ago decided it was a small cost of motoring and I was too young to worry (I'm now in my fifties and am still too young at heart to bother). And I want to drive fast before the roads get too clogged with traffic and the Greens put us all in a straitjacket - we may be living in a window where prosperity, road space and fossil fuel availability overlap so we can own and drive fast cars and future generations will look on us with envy.

And be grateful for what you have as the VRS's fuel consumption is good for a 180+ bhp car. My other car, a Mazda Rx-8, rarely gets more than 20 mpg and I have to drive at 70 on motorways to get 300 miles on a tankful, which is approximately 26 mpg - in comparison, my Octy is pretty frugal.

Ian