The Old Central Heating Debate, Again!

uncle bulgaria

Ok, So this will have been discussed before (usually in a pub over a pint!), but in this rather cold spell is it better to leave your central heating on, "Once", "Continuous", or "Twice"? Do you use more gas if your heating goes off while you go out to work and has to get the house warm again, or less than if you have it on all day?

A couple of years ago, my niece lived with us and as shed been use to Greece she had the heating on all day, most days in winter & of course our gas bill reflected it :'( ! However over a pint in the pub yesterday, with a bunch of family and mates, the debate kicked off, so any ideas????

Ok, So this will have been discussed before (usually in a pub over a pint!), but in this rather cold spell is it better to leave your central heating on, "Once", "Continuous", or "Twice"? Do you use more gas if your heating goes off while you go out to work and has to get the house warm again, or less than if you have it on all day?

A couple of years ago, my niece lived with us and as shed been use to Greece she had the heating on all day, most days in winter & of course our gas bill reflected it :'( ! However over a pint in the pub yesterday, with a bunch of family and mates, the debate kicked off, so any ideas????

I guess if you really wanted to work it out you could try taking meter readings before and after trying each option (though that requires the external conditions to be the same for each).

Personally, I leave ours on "once" at the moment as there is often one of us in the house nearly all the time, but given the current night time temperatures I'm inclinded to switch it on to "continuous" and s*d the cost!