Wheel Covers (hub caps) for 16 inch Steel Wheels

Fred_Bristol

When my friend worked at the Rolls, Bentley, Ferrari dealer in Knutsford they used to jack up each wheel of the cars in the showroom to turn them so that the centre logos were always "correct".

You don't need to do that on the latest Rolls Royce Ghost and Phantom models! They both have wheel centres independent from the wheel and the RR badge ALWAYS faces the right way - even wilst you are driving!!! :giggle:

Well, I've given up on the T4 centre caps! They just didn't seem secure. Even tried the overflow pipe fix for the T5s but it didn't seem to work with the hubcap pushing the plastic pipe down the nut so it didn't "click" onto it.

Seemed that the nuts on the Skoda wheel were smaller than the ones on the T4 that the hubcap was designed to cover. Odd.

Shall try and find some VW caddy ones!

T4 and Caddy are different classes of vehicle. You wouldn't expect the wheel nuts from an 18-wheeler to be identical to a car's taking it to an extreme.

I picked up a set on ebay - almost new. Thank you white van man :yes:

• 1 month later...

Hi guys. I fitted my newly pimped wheel covers taken from a VW Caddy - they're the same as Johanns but painted satin black and with geeky centre stickers.

Problem is, they still don't fit with a click over the wheel nuts on my steelies, so after a journey, come slightly off the wheel and can then be easily pulled off. Is this because I have different wheel nuts on to everyone else? The clips don't seem to reach far enough down the nut to clip onto the back of it.

Or would fitting a new type of nut do the job? I'd be devastated to lose one now I've done all that work!

399884_10150564144576601_650636600_9160791_1899297246_n.jpg

I've left the plastic nut covers from my alloys on, then fitted the centre covers over them. They then fit perfectly!

• Like 1

T5 caps can be made to stay put, mine have survived pot holes, cattle grids, and farm tracks this winter. My previous post I suspect the few blobs of silicon sealant between my home made extended bolts covers and the caps are the deal maker.

I finally got round to inserting the Skoda badges into the Caddy hub caps. Unfortunately I decided to run a bead of caulk around them for extra security. I got one on, using a hammer, and broke a second before realising the caulk was in the way. The wheels will be coming off in a couple of weeks so next year better luck.

I think there should have been some sort of cap ex-factory as the rusty hub does not give a very good impression of a car that's less than 2 months old. It reminds me of an Alfa I had which had rust problems from day 1 .

I think there should have been some sort of cap ex-factory as the rusty hub does not give a very good impression of a car that's less than 2 months old. It reminds me of an Alfa I had which had rust problems from day 1 .

There is... its the 'Rif' full wheel cover as supplied on Yetis with steel wheels! A set is expensive though, which is why so many of us are fitting Caddy caps instead - which IMO look more purposeful on a SM with winter tyres! :-)

There is... its the 'Rif' full wheel cover as supplied on Yetis with steel wheels! A set is expensive though, which is why so many of us are fitting Caddy caps instead - which IMO look more purposeful on a SM with winter tyres! :-)

Nothing to my eyes looks lower rent than full wheel covers. No matter how expensive they are. But each to their own.

Sorry, that's not what i mean. In the past Fords, for example,. had a metal cap that was hammered into the hub. It protected the nut and the thread from the elements. I can also remember plastic nut shaped covers that just slipped oer the nuts.

IMHO the Caddy caps are the best solution for the steelies (although I prefer the "pentagonal" over the round ones). They cover and protect the hub and nuts on one hand and do not scratch paint off the wheel like full size covers do on the other.

And they tend to be cheaper too. For me it is a win-win-win situation :giggle:

• 8 months later...

Here ya go...

Not very pretty but it will keep the crud off the hub.

94199047-0CBD-40DC-B696-E2AAB4D2C064-1307-0000013DE260292C.jpg

It's a cap from a paint spray can.

Edit... I'm going to have to rethink this one. Now the wheels are on the car the hubs actually protrude from the rim by a little way. :doh:

:) :)

Here ya go...

Not very pretty but it will keep the crud off the hub.

94199047-0CBD-40DC-B696-E2AAB4D2C064-1307-0000013DE260292C.jpg

It's a cap from a paint spray can.

If your garage is like mine you probably have 4 knocking about.

It's one of those that has to be prised off with a screwdriver and is 58mm dia at the base and 57mm dia at the top so it fits snugly.

Haven't tried it driving yet but being very light it should stay in place. If not then I reckon a bead of silicon on the inside should hold it in place.

It can easily be painted and also has a flat top so sticking one of the Skoda logos on it will be no problem.

:) :)

You must have watched far too many Blue Peters when you were a kid! :)