Upgrade alternator for ICE

Hello,

I drive a 1.6 petrol Roomster.

I currently have a Pioneer PRS 4 channel amplifier and a Sinfoni 2 channel amplifier in the car, with mid bass and tweeter speaker. I also have the Pioneer P99 head unit.

I intend to add a subwoofer and 1 more mono block amplifier and 1 more pair of mid range speaker to make my set up be a 3 way active speaker + sub woofer set up.

I am not sure if the Roomster's alternator is up to the job of keeping the juice flowing. Don't want to be left with a dead battery.

Anyone know what is the amperage of the stock alternator?

Can I upgrade the alternator? If so, can tell me what is the part number of this upgrade alternator?

Thank you very much.

Hello,

I drive a 1.6 petrol Roomster.

I currently have a Pioneer PRS 4 channel amplifier and a Sinfoni 2 channel amplifier in the car, with mid bass and tweeter speaker. I also have the Pioneer P99 head unit.

I intend to add a subwoofer and 1 more mono block amplifier and 1 more pair of mid range speaker to make my set up be a 3 way active speaker + sub woofer set up.

I am not sure if the Roomster's alternator is up to the job of keeping the juice flowing. Don't want to be left with a dead battery.

Anyone know what is the amperage of the stock alternator?

Can I upgrade the alternator? If so, can tell me what is the part number of this upgrade alternator?

Thank you very much.

With all that in the car and you want to add more, I think a hearing aid would be a much cheaper and easer fix ! Me I would have to have ear plugs !

Radiotwo

Edited by RADIOTWO

With all that in the car and you want to add more, I think a hearing aid would be a much cheaper and easer fix ! Me I would have to have ear plugs !

Radiotwo

It's not about the volume.

It's all about the quality not the quantity.

Please be more constructive.

I think you need a gag not ear plugs.

• 2 months later...

Have you worked out how many amps all your kit requires? It should say in the manuals the maximum draw, add them all up then take that off the amps put out by the standard head unit and compare that against the standard alternator and battery. Other/additional approach is to either fit an ammeter or gauge use a hand-held one to measure the output of the alternator underload.

You may need a second battery or a bigger battery if you have a really powerful setup - I don't pretend to know the amplifiers in your setup so I have no idea if they are SPL 1kw monsters or just normal bits of kit. That'll also depend on how long your journeys are and if you run the stereo without running the engine for long periods.

Granted I have a Fabia vRS but I run a pair of decent amps (putting out nearly 700w RMS between them) without any issues.

With air con on full blast and headlights on and music playing at normal listening volumes, car engine on and at idle, I measure the battery terminals and I am geting only 13.2v (brand new battery).

I have

Pioneer PRS 4 channel amp (400w)

Audison LRx 400.1 mono amp (400w)

Sinfoni 2 channel amp (45w x 2)

Other stuff drawing power is a PND (GPS Garmin) and sometimes my iphone charger.

This place bud, they are very good :yes:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/200-AMP-UPRATED-HIGH-OUTPUT-CHROME-ALTERNATOR-/120685331134?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c196802be

not the one you need but if you contact and deal with them they can sort you out :thumbup:

They did me a nice shiny 150amp one for my octy - they did it pretty quick to iirc

5de055d2.jpg