Poor starting (air in system?)

Our PD VRS has been a little reluctant to start for a while now I think since its 60k service was done so even during the summer it takes a bit of cranking , this time of year the battery is getting a real hammering

I have had the glowplugs checked and they are fine , the battery isnt 100% but still good enough but i seem to recall someone saying about air getting back in the fuel system and causing this problem

The fact i dont recall it being hard to start prior to the last service and the fact i can hear a noise that i had attributed to the air con ie a whistling after i switch off has me thinking air could be the culprit

Any ideas ??

Get the fuel filter changed it could be a bad seal thats letting air get in and pushing the fuel back to the tank overnight,all it takes is a pin ***** to allow enough air in to do this

Our PD VRS has been a little reluctant to start for a while now I think since its 60k service was done so even during the summer it takes a bit of cranking , this time of year the battery is getting a real hammering

I have had the glowplugs checked and they are fine , the battery isnt 100% but still good enough but i seem to recall someone saying about air getting back in the fuel system and causing this problem

The fact i dont recall it being hard to start prior to the last service and the fact i can hear a noise that i had attributed to the air con ie a whistling after i switch off has me thinking air could be the culprit

Any ideas ??

mine has been getting worse - replaced battery and she's good again.

mine has been getting worse - replaced battery and she's good again.

what battery and where from , going order one very soon

I don't know if this applies to the PD170, but my PD140 used to take loads of cranking before it would start, even in the middle of summer.

I asked the dealer to have a look, they couldn't find anything wrong but said there was an engine software update available for it. They put the update on and the difference was incredible, since then it's fired up almost the first flick of the key, compared to before when it was embarassing it took so long to start sometimes.