How-To: Haldex clutch oil change

Thought I'd post up a quick how to for the Haldex Oil change.

On the mk2 scouts and 4x4 there is no filter to change, just needs the oil changing every 40k miles.

Equipment:

Haldex oil from dealer or TPS (£20)

Ideally the correct filling pipe (connects bottle of oil to threads where plug comes from OR syringes (can be bought from farm equipment suppliers or a freindly local vet)

5mm allen key

clean rags

cleaning fluid

Main thing is to ensure that there is no chance of grit or muck getting back into the system so clean the area around the plugs as well as possible.

1: drain oil

undo lowest plug (flat headed bolt with 5mm allen socket.)

draining will take a good 10 mins as the oil drains very slowly

2: replace plug!

3: use correct filling tube connected to rear-most plug socket OR use syringe to fill haldex clutch with 1l of replacement fluid

replace plugs

Was a bit fiddly to do, especially as I tried to fill the clutch initially using the forward-most port - however when syringing into this port the fluid simply ran back out.

Hope this helps...

Oil can be bought from a dealer or TPS for about £20

You'll need to get the car up on a lift or have a pit so that it's level and you've got a fair bit of room to work.

There are 3 plugs in the haldex system which can be undone with a 5mm allen bolt

hmmm

I didn't drain it from that point. I drained it from the bolt just to the left of the shadow cast by the cross-bar.

The bolt indicated appeared to be a mounting bolt to attach the prop shaft to the haldex.

Also the place indicated for filling is an absolute pig to fill into. There is a bolt at the same height at the back end (same side) of the haldex that take the oil much more easily

hmmm

I didn't drain it from that point. I drained it from the bolt just to the left of the shadow cast by the cross-bar.

The bolt indicated appeared to be a mounting bolt to attach the prop shaft to the haldex.

Also the place indicated for filling is an absolute pig to fill into. There is a bolt at the same height at the back end (same side) of the haldex that take the oil much more easily

Isn't that a diff drain not the haldex coupling though?

The front bolt is lower and where they recommend it is drained and the tool fits into the side hole perfectly.

Edited by Tech1e
  • Like 1

Haha :)

This could be slightly embarrasing then.

Few Qs spring from this:

does the diff use the same fluid as haldex (if it does then no probs, just means I've changed the diff fluid)

next q: where do you get the official filler tool from, TPS in Leicester would not sell me one...

• 5 years later...