is it worth opting for the cd changer?

pixi

Hi, has anyone experienced any difference in quality by opting for the cd changer instead of the single cd in the fabia vrs. is it really worth paying the extra for? I'm not bothered about the fact that you can bung more cd's in etc. just want to know if it sounds better, when I test drove a demo the standard single wasn't that impressive.

I'm not into upgrading speakers or amps or anything like that, just want something as it comes.

Ta :P

The CD changer won't make any difference to the quality - the weakness of the system is in the amplification (or lack thereof!) from the headunit. Most budget aftermarket head units wipe the floor with the standard head unit...so my advice would be to save the money from the CD changer upgrade, and put it towards and aftermarket head unit... :)

Rob.

Dead easy - you remove the old one, plug a wiring loom onto the cables, plug that loom into the back of the new headunit, and the slot it in place. The Fabia also needs a fascia adaptor, as the standard head unit is slightly larger than most head units. But pretty easy.

Worst case, if you start doing it and find you get stuck, it'll be about

If all you are doing is swapping the HU then as Rob says , it's very easy and should take a novice no more than an hour.

If you have done one before then 15 minutes is more like it.

I'm sure there will be someone local who can help if you get stuck

Hi' date=' has anyone experienced any difference in quality by opting for the cd changer instead of the single cd in the fabia vrs. is it really worth paying the extra for? I'm not bothered about the fact that you can bung more cd's in etc. just want to know if it sounds better, when I test drove a demo the standard single wasn't that impressive.

I'm not into upgrading speakers or amps or anything like that, just want something as it comes.

Ta :P[/quote']

If the changer is in the boot IMO forget it, our previous Subaru & Vectra had a single CD in the dash & it was easy to change CD's. Both our Octys have got the 6 changer in the boot & many times you get into a journey & fancy something different. Then standing in the rain changing Cd's you realise what a silly idea it is.

If its the type where the discs are stored in the machine itself then I would go for it.

Whats the Octavia CD player like on poor roads ?

My wife has a '00 reg Volvo S40 but stopped playing CDs because the CDs kept skipping on bumpy country roads. Would a CD player capable of playing MP3s have the same problem ?

Whats the Octavia CD player like on poor roads ?

My wife has a '00 reg Volvo S40 but stopped playing CDs because the CDs kept skipping on bumpy country roads. Would a CD player capable of playing MP3s have the same problem ?

Havent had a problem with either of ours, The 4x4 is lowered, stiffened (KW V 3's) And gets a very hard life :D:D:D . To date absolutely no problems

Would a CD player capable of playing MP3s have the same problem ?

It takes a lot to make an MP3 player skip - because the data is compressed on the disc, the laser doesn't have to do as much reading for as much music as on a conventional audio CD.

Most units have some sort of buffer anyway to read ahead to reduce skipping on normal CDs, so if the unit also uses this buffer when reading MP3 data then it should make it even harder to skip...

Rob.