Octavia VRS - an example of it's success

Guest wilkopilko

Guest wilkopilko

Premium-Waffle.jpg

Would you like to save yourself £13,500.00 today sir?

Maybe treat the missus to another WHOLE CAR with the saving sir?

(Sorry couldn't resist - in one of those moods today)

Edited by wilkopilko

Guest wilkopilko

I ask anyone to give me a valid reason why you would go for the 'premium' choice here.

I mean one reason that would sit convincingly in the real world.

Badge snobbery.

People will pay it and the manufacturers know it.

The three pronged star is about as main stream premium as you can get.

Sad but true, but then if we all felt the same then there would be way too many Octavia's on the road :smirk:

Not the same, but I leave my wife to drive our A6 3.0 TDI allroad so that I can enjoy the honesty of my PD Scout (which has more in common with our first generation allroad). Don't get the badge snobbery thing myself - perhaps that's why I hate all that chrome up the "trim ladder" that arguably defines your status in the company car park. I know which car I'd prefer in the snow too.. If/When the Superb Scout comes out, the allroad will go back I think. Just glad I got the Audi 1% PCP deal to keep my options open.

But the Merc take you 8 mpg further........

£13,000 buys you a lot of 8mpg worse.

Even at today's prices (£1.24 a litre for diesel near me), you need to drive over 750,000 miles before recouping the cost of the Mercedes' extra fuel. And that's before taking the higher cost of Merc spares into account.

Edited by thinkblueskies

Just joking about the fuel consumption, here the standard CDI 220 cost around AUD$ 70K without extras which is around 45450 Pounds vs the Skoda $48500 (31490 Pounds) which is a similar to the UK difference at around 14K Pounds.

18000 Pounds for the Skoda, what a bargain!

Here it would cost another 13K+ Pounds (list price) to enjoy one of them, my TDI 140 PD will have to do.

It's the law of diminishing returns. My previous car was a BMW 530i, and it cost £42k new (and no, I wasn't the 1st, 2nd or 3rd owner!). It was a better car than my Octavia (handling, build quality, etc.) but no way close to being twice as good. My Octy is definitely better value.