Smashed mine a bit, advice please

Hello all,

I have had a low speed impact to the front offside, I hit a wall about 18" high after sliding on ice :(

Thankfully it has only scuffed the front bumper so I will get that resprayed, but it has punctured the washer tank :(

Can someone please tell me how to take the front bumper off so that I can replace the tank.

Thanks in advance.

Hi

I'm a panel beater so I can look into for you to tell you exactly how to do but if your in a hurry to get started then take this advice. You'll be surprised how easy bumpers are held on.

Firstly check the wheelarchs, Theres often torques/spline self tappers holding the wheel archliners to the bumper. Pull the wheel arch liner out the way and check for anything holding it on to the Wing such as a 10mm bolt etc. Most modern Bumpers are connected with plastic barbs and alot of the time they just need a good pull then they'll come free but shine a torch into the gaps just to be sure. Also it will most likely be held on underneath either through the drip tray or just more self tappers through the bumper. Next pop the bonnet and make sure theres nothing holding it on from the top. If you get this far then just give the bumper a pull. If it still feels really secure then theres propberly something you've missed but if it come off great. Just be careful for multiplugs that will be connecnting electrics on the bumper such as fog lights but they can all be disconnected once the bumpers removed. Hope that helps. If not I will get some methods for you off the system at work which will tell yo exactly how to remove it step by step.

Are you sure the washer tank is punctured one of the hoses could have come off or the pump has dislodged, remove the pop out grill next to the fog light just give it a good tug, and stick your hand in and have a feel you can see the tank if you look

Thanks Grant and Skippy

I am not sure that tank is punctured, it certainly is leaking, and to be fair it was a substantial impact (with little visible damage) so I am expecting something to be broken behind the bumper.

When I get the bumper off I will know better, it will be cheaper for me to remove it and get it sprayed than it would to get someone to do it for me.

I did find another post with a detailed instruction on how to remove the bumper so I will get to that tomorrow and have a look at what I have smashed underneath and report back.

Thanks again for your input!

there is a row of torx that run from the top of one arch along the bottom of the bumper and back up the other arch, you shouldn't need to remove wheels, there is two torx hid near the fog lights and there is three below the bonnet,

finally you need to remove the headlights, to do this you remove white plasic nut (should screw by hand) and then at the side there is a clip with a hook you lift the clip while pulling the hook out this slides the lamp forward. remove the wire and place light somewhere safe, you will find two plastc clips behind each headlight remove and bumper should pull forward.

p.s remember to remove the tempature sensor and the fog lights.

I have taken this all apart now and ordered the parts.

The bumper removal is quite straightforward, the only point I would note to anyone else doing this, there are 3 screws on the wheel arch liner, you then have to pull the liner back and there is one more screw inside.

I have just had to order a replacement washer bottle, wheel arch liner, front bumper spoiler, centre grille and some of the plastic split rivets, just short of £100. Plus painting the bumper again, another £100. But I suppose that has saved my no claims bonus and means that I don't have an increase in next years premium as a result.

I can recommend that anyone else that has only lightly bumped the front of their Octy attempt the repair themselves, it is quite straightforward if you have a bit of relevant knowledge. (i accept no responsibility if you balls it up)