Slow engine warm up

Hi,

I have a 2010 Octavia Estate 1.4 TSI which takes 5 miles driving from cold to reach normal operating temperature. Any ideas as to what may be the cause of this(thermostat stuck open?). Or is this normal?

Grateful for any suggestions.

You're lucky emoticon-0143-smirk.gif

In this weather its takes about 10 miles for my diesel to throw out any useful heat.

Its a sign of the times that as engines get even more efficient that there is less energy used for the creation of heat for mere passengersemoticon-0124-worried.gif

You're lucky emoticon-0143-smirk.gif

In this weather its takes about 10 miles for my diesel to throw out any useful heat.

Its a sign of the times that as engines get even more efficient that there is less energy used for the creation of heat for mere passengersemoticon-0124-worried.gif

I can confirm this. With TDI PD in my Octavia on -10C it needs at least 10 miles to warm up and to start heating the cabin.

5 mins is about right, my 2.0 vRS is similar in terms of the temp gauge needle hitting the middle of the dial. The new 1.4tsi has a good reputation of being a very efficient engine in terms of power output for energy used, and as heat from an engine is wasted energy (bit like the old fashioned lightbulbs) then the fact that it takes a bit longer to get hot is actually a good sign in terms of your fuel economy.

Thank you all for the replies.

It seems that slow warm up may be the norm in this weather, but even now that the temps. are in the plus zone, 5 miles to warm up still seems excessive. I'll speak to main dealer and see what they say.

Thanks again

Thank you all for the replies.

It seems that slow warm up may be the norm in this weather, but even now that the temps. are in the plus zone, 5 miles to warm up still seems excessive. I'll speak to main dealer and see what they say.

Thanks again

I managed to speed my warm up time by getting a HEKO grill cover but use cardboard as they did years ago when not wanting cold air to enter radiator area. :D