Scout turbo query

Had my scout for a few weeks now (90k TDi '08 plate)

It doesn't feel that sprightly to drive - my wife has got a Seat Leon with the same 2.0 TDi 140bhp engine (albeit the 16v vs the 8v in the scout) which is much more keen to go, with better acceleration.

I accept the scout will not be quite a quick (bigger car and 4x4 system drag) but I expected it to be pretty similar.

Now my concern: There is a whine on the turbo under load, doesn't sound like some of the audio files that I've found on here of broken turbos. Is there an easy way of discovering if it is just a split hose.

thanks for any advice

You're not having much luck with the old girl are you!?

My 140bhp PD Scout (25,000 miles) is fast enough. At peak torque in all gears there is enough power to push me firmly into my seat, certainly no complaints from a performance perspective, my last car was a 150bhp BMW 320d and the Scout feels just as fast.

Turbo complaints are common, so too are premature failures. if your Scout has had an easy 90,000 miles I'd recommend having the whine checked out. If it's had 90,000 hard miles I'd say it was on its way out and to start saving for a replacement.

There are plenty of examples on here of turbo's failing at less than 50,000 miles but then there are also plenty of turbo's lasting to 200,000 miles.

The turbo whine on mine is noticeable as it begins to spool up but after a second or two the trusty PD lump drowns out the turbo :giggle:

If you think its under powered together with a louder than normal whistle then maybe the veins are begining to clog (I think that's what happens?).

I've never heard of hoses splitting on the Octavia but I guess it's a possibility.