Dealer discourages Variable Service Interval...

Irlanski

Hi All,

My early 2010 Octavia 1.6 TDI 105bhp is due a service. The first was at 1,500K, next at 16,500K and now at 31,500K.

I want to go the Variable Service Interval from here out. I understand that VW 507.00 fully synthetic is required. So I telephoned my dealer to "put them on notice" about this. However the dealer tells me that my car although bought on QG1 setting has been restored to the fixed setting (is that QG0 or QG2 i'm not sure) and that they never heard of people wanting the Variable interval and they said that anyway that oil is too expensive and we'd have to get it in! I said that I can get it for €135 (say £120) for 20 litres and that I will bring the required quantity. They declined saying that that might affect the warranty. They also said "shur isn't the car better getting serviced more regularly anyway?" So I am left with only the option of remaining on fixed (from that dealer anyway)

Questions...

1. Is this a nonsence they are spinning me? Surely they should just stock the oil in the event that a customet wished to go on Variable.
  2. Maybe they are right, people don't want variable? :no:
  3. Are their any issues with chopping and changing from fixed to variable and back again (so long as the computer is updated?

Thanks for the help...

Irlanski

They're talking a load of poppycock. The new diesels with the DPF require that spec oil whatever service regime they are on so unless they don't service these vehicles they will have to have it in stock for services. I would seriously consider another dealer if at all possible, or maybe the local VW dealer instead...

We only change customers over to fixed, nobody's ever requested to move from Fixed to variable although we do offer variable servicing..

Kev

Thanks Kev, but can I ask you why that is? Do your customers ask for this changeover to fixed or is it something you do for a particular reason?

Thanks...

Irlanski

I understand that variable interval servicing only makes sense if you mostly do motorway miles.

I do, perhaps, half on motorways and half driving spiritedly on country roads, so I changed to fixed interval when we got our car.