Well, looks like the Skoda adventure is over. Strongly suspect timing chain failure tonight :(

MOT was due in 2 weeks and she needed a bit of brake work for that, so it's away to the scrappers after the post mortem tomorrow.

Thanks to all those who have helped with the various posts i've put on here, just wish i could find another one, cos pound for pound, its been the most reliable car i have ever owned.

RIP Flick 24/04/1998 - 15/01/2011

I think you can see the timing chain if you remove the distributor (spi)/the distributor cover (mpi).

Ive figured that part out since i got in (and picked up the haynes)...weather was tropical and it was dark, had kids with me too, so just hauled its a*** back home for now.

Cant think of anything else that would have caused it to die completely. Oil and battery warning lights on, and the cooling system hasnt dumped its guts on the tarmac. nor any sigsns of overheating/HGF.

Pretty sure its very dead, its a lot of work and expense to sort to find out it fails the MOT on other stuff. Just havent got the cash or time to chuck at it. :no:

I hear the alternators on the MPi with PS are worth more than the car though...might be a ray of light there :smirk:

Had a look through the aforementioned hole, chain is still there :) but the teeth on the upper sprocket dont appear to be.....Sensible answers only please, is it worth putting new sprocket and chain on or is it fubar?

If that's the case I wouldn't put a new sprocket on without taking the head off to check the valves aren't bent, although given that engines can be had for ~£100-£150 it'd probably be easier just to chuck a new one in.

Havent got time or experience for a full on engine swap. and whats the chances of finding a good one in breakers? Cursing that government scrappage scheme now!

And on top of that, it was going to need work for the MOT in a weeks time, and its just not economical to start spending loads on a 13yo car. End of the road for this one. :'(

Edited by wilse78

just fit another timing chain kit. valves dont even come close to the pistons so there will not be any damage there.

3 hours on the drive and it would be a runner again :thumbup: