Engine problems on modded vRS

Hey all,

Have any of you moddified vRS owners had any problems with the engine after modding it you can see the list of mods i have in my signature. My car is a 56 plate and had 20,000 miles + full service history when i bought it with no previous mechanical problems (i know as i bought it from my Mum & Dad). I had the Cambelt done as it was 4 years old then i had it remapped and ive had nothing but problems since. Inlet Camshaft broke where the cog is fitted on the end, (took VW 1 month to diagnose the prob after stripping my engine twice.

2 weeks later the head gasket started leaking oil every where, the fixed that problem then 2 days after it was fixed the turbo started sounding like a jet fighter and it was stalling and struggling to get up hills etc, the have said that something is leaking. ive put this down to the fact that the garage has buggered up as the have fixed these problems no cost to me.

As i said before, basically have any of you modded vRS owners had any engine probs after modding??????

thanks in advance

Ross

Sorry to hear you're still having problems Ross :(

Obviously we've pretty much been in touch since your problems started but I didn't realise this was still ongoing. Looking at it logically, if you take the camshaft problem out of the equation, everything else can possibly be attributed to the engine being taken apart. 2 weeks after the engine going back together and the head gasket is leaking = was the gasket replaced (I certainly hope so), were the head bolts replaced. Given that the turbo relies so heavily on oil, was the oil contaminated as part of the head gasket problem? It's very possible and could have consequently caused turbo issues.

Unfortunately everything's sort of happened all at once for you which is a shame, having the cambelt done, then the mods and remap which makes it difficult to show what happened where in the timeline and what might have caused an issue.

Obviously if there's anything I can do to help, just let me know. :thumbup:

id be fairl;y certain it wasnt themods that have caused that IMO. dont forget its not just the vRS runing this engine. there are the golfs, leons etcetc. lots and lots of which are mapped.

I had mine mapped from 5k to 30k half of which was stage 2+. I use all the VAG forums as well and never read of the failures you have mentioned either. I thik id agree with ben. I think you had a genuine part failure, then other issues have come from bad workmanship.

Yeh I agree, as i said im pretty sure its the garage hence why ive not been paying for any of the work !!!!!!!!!!!! and they havent asked for money :thumbup: i was just checking if anyone had had anything similar happen to them.

they assured me that the recent issue is coilpacks, so have replaced all 4 then they phoned on Mon and said yeh we took it for a test drive and realised that its actually something else, something is leaking :wonder:

Problem is now i dont trust the car, i dont want to get stuck somewhere with my 10 month old when out and about. I just want it back working and reliable so that i can enjoy it and all the mods. I havent had a chance to give it full beans yet :'(

Ross