Advice please

My Octavia's Skoda Warranty expires shortly. Any advice as to whether or not taking out an extended warranty is worthwhile. Can't get any sense out of Skoda - as far as I can make out they don't offer an extended warranty or aren't interested.

Skoda do extended warranties. My dealer organised a Skoda warranty last September for my wife's Fabia 1.2 HTP. It was £299 and included a year's Roadside Assistance. I think the cost may go by engine size. Persevere and try a few other dealers until you get one to co-operate!

My Octavia's Skoda Warranty expires shortly. Any advice as to whether or not taking out an extended warranty is worthwhile. Can't get any sense out of Skoda - as far as I can make out they don't offer an extended warranty or aren't interested.

Have managed to obtain a quote: £390 for 12 mts or £595 for 24 mths, which includes RAC breakdown cover. As I only do about 7,000 miles/year, :S not sure whether or not extending the warranty is being unecessarily cautious.

Have managed to obtain a quote: £390 for 12 mts or £595 for 24 mths, which includes RAC breakdown cover. As I only do about 7,000 miles/year, :S not sure whether or not extending the warranty is being unecessarily cautious.

I'd buy it depending on what's covered. My VRS is almost 4 yrs old. I have just bought a Warranty Direct extra care policy which covers ABS turbo air con issues, Cat and lambda along with all the other more usual things, bearings etc for peace of mind. Having previously paid out for repair after repair on 5 yr old 5 series I took the plunge. Whilst it may be considered a waste of money, I've got 12 months of protection whilst I think about the next car or keep it another year. The only thing you must do is keep it serviced as per manufacturers recommendations. I'll have the cambelt and water pump done next month. It was that or think about losing money and chopping it in for something inferior. One tip is that if you get a warranty from Warrant Direct it pays to have serviced the car at a VAT registered garage within the last 30 days then the wear and tear part of the policy kicks in immediately instead of after 90 days. By luck mine had just had its annual service. Sod's law says that my car will run sweet as a nut for the duration of the policy and if it does I'll be chuffed. If the ABS sensors go then I'll see it as a a gamble that paid off.

• Like 1

Well said, I got my warranty direct AFTER my ABS failed :S emoticon-0106-crying.gif

Sorry to hear that. The reason I felt it was necessary was because of many threads and continuing publicity in the Honest John column on the VAG group scandal. Skoda appears to pay out less to cover the costs of repair than VW for an identical fault. Perhaps it's the Skoda owners' fault for buying a Golf dressed up in a bigger more family-friendly cheaper package. The company seems to think that you get what you pays for. The only thing it does is harm the company's hard-won reputation for quality cars and "Happy Drivers". At least with a warranty you don't have to worry too much.

Sorry to hear that. The reason I felt it was necessary was because of many threads and continuing publicity in the Honest John column on the VAG group scandal. Skoda appears to pay out less to cover the costs of repair than VW for an identical fault. Perhaps it's the Skoda owners' fault for buying a Golf dressed up in a bigger more family-friendly cheaper package. The company seems to think that you get what you pays for. The only thing it does is harm the company's hard-won reputation for quality cars and "Happy Drivers". At least with a warranty you don't have to worry too much.

Skoda workshop hourly rates are generally lower than VW or Audi. All parts come off the same Tamworth parts distribution centre but not sure if they charge different prices for the same part depending on which marque it is going to.

So it is not surprising the payout is less but the premium should be less to accordingly.

I would hope and expect VAG will go to 100K warranty, maybe 5 year, soon as other manufactures have gone that way.

Parts prices supplied to the dealer are the same regardless of marque. However what the dealer adds when they get the part is a different matter alltogether. All the dealers are franchises and can charge what they like for their parts and hourly labour rates, just depends on how much margin they want to make.

A few years ago I had an extended warranty by a third party on a another car. It broke down, and despite providing evidence to them they did not pay out because they said the part that failed was not covered.

Some 3rd party warranties are not worth the paper they are printed on. For example, the one mentioned covers the lamda probe but chances are if it fails they will blame wear and tear which is not covered, after all every part will fail eventually as the car gets older due to wear and tear.

On my octy2 I did not bother extending the warranty, and drove the car for 2 years outside of warranty with only a 10P sensor failing. I fitted that myself and the dealer supplied for free as it would have cost more to do the paperwork.

• 1 year later...