1.4TSI DSG Economy?

I am considering changing my 1.9TDI DSG for the 1.4TSI DSG as we do less than 12k miles a year and I find the TDI a bit noisy and unrefined but at the time I didn't have a choice of a petrol DSG car.

My current car is giving 45mpg calculated brim to brim, I am looking for feedback on the economy and drive of the 1.4 DSG from owners of this car.

Thanks

I am considering changing my 1.9TDI DSG for the 1.4TSI DSG as we do less than 12k miles a year and I find the TDI a bit noisy and unrefined but at the time I didn't have a choice of a petrol DSG car.

My current car is giving 45mpg calculated brim to brim, I am looking for feedback on the economy and drive of the 1.4 DSG from owners of this car.

Thanks

Should get 45 mpg out of the 1.4 TSI no problem, 50 mpg on a run although if you are town driving then 40 or upper 30s is not impossible.

We get mid 50s out of our 1.9D but the Mk1 is lighter than the Mk2 and hence the town fuel consumption on the Mk2s is not very good by comparison.

Using a car for town I would probably go for the 1.2 TSI on the Fabia rather than the Octavia, will look at the new Monte Carlo spec when it arrives in the next couple of weeks.

Monte Carlo spec when it arrives in the next couple of weeks.

Would like to hear more details about this please.

For about £1250 you can get loads of goodies, 17 inch alloys, nice interior, lowered sport suspension, looks good, bettter than Fabia VRS in the pictures IMHO but you will be able to get it for the smaller capacity engines ie 1.2 TSI, 1.6 CR so the insurance will not be too bad. Thinking of one for our town driving, school run and for the kids to learn to drive in and have eventually.

For about £1250 you can get loads of goodies, 17 inch alloys, nice interior, lowered sport suspension, looks good, bettter than Fabia VRS in the pictures IMHO but you will be able to get it for the smaller capacity engines ie 1.2 TSI, 1.6 CR so the insurance will not be too bad. Thinking of one for our town driving, school run and for the kids to learn to drive in and have eventually.

I think the OP might be talking about the Octavia as its posted in the Octavia II forum?

Monte Carlo is a Fabia I presume

I think the OP might be talking about the Octavia as its posted in the Octavia II forum?

Monte Carlo is a Fabia I presume

Yes, yes I realise. I was making the point that the 1,2,1.4 and 1.8 TSI DSGs Octavias can be really economical ie 40-50 mpg but only if you do a good proportion of A road ie extra urban type driving. If you mainly do town driving then the Fabias are better at that because they are only 80% or so the weight hence much better urban fuel consumption although equally it is nowhere near as roomy ie you not want to take 5 people in who are mostly around 6ft tall as in my lot for anything more than a few miles.

We cannot have our cake and eat until we get hybrids I guess.

I have just changed from a 1.9 tdi fabia (ave 45mpg) to an Octavia 1.4 Tsi Elegance DSG and to be honest I am a bit disappointed with the mpg of the Octavia only averaging 30 mpg, I have got to admit it is early days I have only got 500 miles on the clock so I am hoping it will improve and most of that mileage has been short trips. Will be going on a longer trip in the next few days so I am hoping the average mpg will get better.

I've had a 1.4 DSG Elegance estate for 6 months and 10,000 miles. I do my calculations over a whole tankful which includes a 6 mile journey twice a day, some other short journeys and some 100mile plus m'way/ A road journeys. Whilst I don't drive hard anymore - I set cruise for 74 mph (actually 70mph according to my satnav) on m/ways - my mileage is so varied that I consider that 36 - 38 mpg is pretty acceptable for quite a big car. I can get maxidot to show 44 mpg over a journey but that's not real world IMO.

Incidentally, I have found that it made not the slightest difference using 99 octane! (rather surprisingly). So I don't use it anymore.

HTH

dill

Thanks

I have 1.4 TSI but manual not DSG. According to the sales brochure the DSG has similar if not better mpg than than the manual.

The fuel consumption I am getting over mixed driving is c. 40 mpg. Motorway at 70ish it will do c. 42 mpg. Taking my time and not exceeding 60 mph then it will hit 50 mpg.

I think the "1.4" is misleading because it makes one think small engine/power and therefore good mpg. It is actually at 122 BHP and oodles of torque quite a powerful unit which the sub 10 second 0 to 60 times show. Not so long ago to achieve these figures you would be looking at 2 litre and 25 to 35 mpg. So, for the performance as a petrol engine the mpg figures are really quite exceptional.

Depends how much less than 12K miles a year you do - anything more then the diesel would seem to be the choice. I am in the 6K to 8K range so it makes sense to have petrol and forego some mpg advantages in exchange for lower capital cost, an engine that is fantastic to drive, and no DPF or DMF worries!

The fuel consumption I am getting over mixed driving is c. 40 mpg. Motorway at 70ish it will do c. 42 mpg. Taking my time and not exceeding 60 mph then it will hit 50 mpg.

Is this what it says on the Maxidot whilst you're driving? I often get this but, its not especially relevant is it? One doesn't drive on M'ways all the time. Are you calculating brim to brim?

dill

The Octavia (Mk 2) is a big heavy car and will not get "good" fuel consumption ie over 40 mpg with the petrol engine in it in an urban enviroment, maybe 45 mpg with one of the small diesel engines in it. Too much stop start and wasted momentum.

It weight 1,5 tons without being loaded or as much as 2 tons loaded. There are loads of great techniques for the 7 speed DSG to help fuel consumption, I can get over 50 mpg out of the 1.8 TSI and still average 65 mph over a long journey but round town is a total different story. Until Skoda add stop-start and regen brakes and start lightening the car as Audi are doing with some of their models this will be the case.

Either stick with the 1.9D which is a brilliant all rounder or wait for the next generation of technology IMHO.

Edited by lol

Is this what it says on the Maxidot whilst you're driving? I often get this but, its not especially relevant is it? One doesn't drive on M'ways all the time. Are you calculating brim to brim?

dill

The figures are the average (not instantaneous) figures from Maxidot less a couple of mpg as many posters on this forum say it is slightly optimistic.

The figures are the average (not instantaneous) figures from Maxidot less a couple of mpg as many posters on this forum say it is slightly optimistic.

Sorry if it sounds a bit dim but I realise you can get 40mpg plus average figures on the Maxidot when you're driving steadily on the motorway. I often do.

What I'd like to know (in case its my driving...) is what mpg do you get ignoring Maxidot totally? ie doing it the old-fashioned way with a calculator?

dill

Interesting, thanks all.

I'm surprised the average MPG for the 1.4DSG is as low as people are reporting. Any comments on how the car drives with the 7 speed DSG compared to the diesels?

I really like not having to worry about changing gear espescially when stuck in traffic so the DSG does it's job well in those circumstances. I do find that it holds onto a higher gear longer than you would expect, I think this is the way the car has been designed to improve the fuel economy but on occassions the engine seems as if it labours a bit until it does actually change down. I do miss the torque of the diesel but I think it is down to me not quite used to the car yet. I find that going up and down the gears in tiptronic mode certainly improves the performance but not economy. Overall I am happy with the car and it was quite a bit cheaper than the diesel models and the mileage I do now just didn't warrant another diesel. Another reason I decided against the diesel was the DPF when only doing relatively short journeys.

Hope this helps :)

I've had a 1.4 DSG Elegance estate for 6 months and 10,000 miles. I do my calculations over a whole tankful which includes a 6 mile journey twice a day, some other short journeys and some 100mile plus m'way/ A road journeys. Whilst I don't drive hard anymore - I set cruise for 74 mph (actually 70mph according to my satnav) on m/ways - my mileage is so varied that I consider that 36 - 38 mpg is pretty acceptable for quite a big car. I can get maxidot to show 44 mpg over a journey but that's not real world IMO.

Incidentally, I have found that it made not the slightest difference using 99 octane! (rather surprisingly). So I don't use it anymore.

HTH

dill

This mirrors my experience. I had a 1.9pd and averaged 43 to 44 over the 3 years I had it, mostly short journeys, 3 mile journey twice a day instead of 6. Am averaging around 36 now in the 1.4. Best I had was 48. 150 mile trips (fully loaded, 4 people plus luggage), mostly motorway give me 41. I also find the speedo overstates by 4mph relative to my satnav.

Big difference in the feel of the car - so much smoother and quieter than the pd - in fact I often have to check the engine is still running at idle as its so quiet. Love the DSG too after 30 years+ of manuals.

Edited by themacster

This mirrors my experience. I had a 1.9pd and averaged 43 to 44 over the 3 years I had it, mostly short journeys, 3 mile journey twice a day instead of 6. Am averaging around 36 now in the 1.4. Best I had was 48. 150 mile trips (fully loaded, 4 people plus luggage), mostly motorway give me 41. I also find the speedo overstates by 4mph relative to my satnav.

Big difference in the feel of the car - so much smoother and quieter than the pd - in fact I often have to check the engine is still running at idle as its so quiet. Love the DSG too after 30 years+ of manuals.

I see you're in Gloucester. You don't come by Cirencester at about 6 pm in a Corrida Red estate do you? (Mine is too and I always glance at it!)

dill

I see you're in Gloucester. You don't come by Cirencester at about 6 pm in a Corrida Red estate do you? (Mine is too and I always glance at it!)

dill

No, sorry, not me - mine's Arctic Green, and I live and work in Gloucester so only go past Ciren when on trips in that direction.