PastyBoy DIY Alloy Refurb and Recolour Project Thread

PastyBoy

Not on the car yet :(

Doing them over the weekend was the plan but decided to take the front seat out and get rid of the water marks instead (with the gf away i can make do with a single car for a while)

One seat is done will probably clean the other tonight, give it tomorrow to dry, put them back and and be able to take it somewhere and get them fitted Thursday/Friday.

I am happy with them at thee moment. Occasionally i see a some of the deep scratches udner the light or the sides of the spokes which have much less clear coat than the fronts or clear coat runs and think "dammit!" but then i think of the cost , the fact i've done it myself and the sate of the wheels on the car currently and perk up again!

Great thread - very inspiring, the finished result looks great, can't wait to see them on the car :)

That FK1000P is a cracking buy for such a huge tin, should last a fair old while! If I didn't have almost a full tin of Collinite 476 i'd be tempted to get some myself.

Marc

Having never used a wax or polish or any form or protection before I was expecting a much much smaller tin for the £20 it cost.

I assumed that these "detailing" products were expensive :)

Think once the wheels are on and it's pitcure time i'l wash and was the rest of the car. Shiny shiny! :D

aaaaand they're on :thumbup:

After brief twilight exposure I am not as convinced with them on the car as i was when they were ready to go on.

I think it might be because the wheels are currently glossy shiny black while the rest of the car is filthy :D

This includes the tyres which are more of a dusty off grey/light brown colour than the black rubber should be so contrast really heavily against the wheels.

I also think they are going to be an absolute ****** to look after.

All we've done is carefully fit tyres to them and already there are a couple of white chips on the edges and 1 around one nut hole :dull:

DAMN YOU TYRE MONKEYS!!

and whose stupid idea was it to use white primer :doh:

Full wash Saturday morning and we'll see if my thinking improves B)

Grab yourself a black permanent marker at the weekend, it'll all be fine :thumbup:

some touching up has already taken place and can't notice from a distance :)

tease taken this morning

IMG_0409.jpg

Edited by PastyBoy

Nice looking wheels. Where did you purchase the wheel wax mate?

Ta very much

I went through the difficult process of googling "FK1000P"

the first result that came up was www.cleanyourcar.co.uk

so i bought i from their shop

Woohoo I've inspired someone!! :)

Fleabay Matt

i searched for spray paint and went for the first shop that was offering deals on mixed pack multibuys

seller is "sueiain10" - can't fault them. Stuff arrived next day rather than the 3-5 they quoted.

I think in the summer when i do the other set i'll probably go for 4 tins of everything to begin with.

I got away with just 2 primer and 2 lacquer but did definitely need (at least) 4 black

Ta very much

I went through the difficult process of googling "FK1000P"

the first result that came up was www.cleanyourcar.co.uk

so i bought i from their shop

I use clean.your.car too.

I love their loyalty scheme. :yes:

Nice job Cliff by the way.

Finally I'll get to meet you at Combe :thumbup:

Woohoo I've inspired someone!! :)

Fleabay Matt

i searched for spray paint and went for the first shop that was offering deals on mixed pack multibuys

seller is "sueiain10" - can't fault them. Stuff arrived next day rather than the 3-5 they quoted.

I think in the summer when i do the other set i'll probably go for 4 tins of everything to begin with.

I got away with just 2 primer and 2 lacquer but did definitely need (at least) 4 black

Lol, you`ve actually made me decide to keep my spiders instead of flogging them. They have been sprayed black, then not cleaned for a long time. The brake dust has kinda embedded into the paint, and i dont like the colour. :rofl: But seeing you do this has made me think again, for the sake of £50 might as well give it a bash! How many tins you reckon then? They do 4 or 6 packs is a tin a wheel enough? I`v got 17`s so a extra inch to cover over you :rofl:

Cheers

Matt

But seeing you do this has made me think again, for the sake of £50 might as well give it a bash! How many tins you reckon then? They do 4 or 6 packs is a tin a wheel enough? I`v got 17`s so a extra inch to cover over you :rofl:

Oh the power i feel almost....influential! :D

The price has been the clincher for me to. If someone was selling a set of standard silver spiders for £150 I reckoin there's be a fair amount of interest.

If they were selling a freshly refurbed black set for £150 I reckon there's be a queue around the block!

They do standard mixture packs like i bought (2 primer, 2 colour, 2 lacquer) but for a bit extra i think you can select your own mixture of 6/10/12 tins

Ian the guy who runs it would probably sort you a price and list you a special item for your own mix if you got in touch.

Knowing what i know now next time around i'll be buying this pack Simoniz 12 Pack which would give enough of everything to spend extra time, sanding and coating at the primer stage to make sure the finish was smooth.

(I had to accept it was "good enough" and move on when i ran out of primer!)

2 tins of black was definitely not enough and even though i completely emptied 4 tins i did do my xbox with it too and i doubt my spraying technqiue was the best.

...so a extra inch to cover over you :rofl:

ok ok no need to boast :p

Well the wheels have been finished with VRS logo centres off some right dodgy geezer and the car is now clean and shiny.

My thoughts have improved now that i've washed the tyres black to something that resembles black. the black works well against the red paint but i feel the intricacy of the wheels design is lost a bit.

Overall it's not as take your breath away as i expected; but then i've been looking at the wheels for well over a month now; so i think the wow factor has deminished but the sense of satisfaction is still HUGE. Knowing I did them makes me feel all warm and fuzzy!

IMG_0414.jpg

IMG_0411.jpg

IMG_0417.jpg

IMG_0419.jpg

IMG_0415.jpg

IMG_0416.jpg

I have to urge anyone who has the time to take the plunge and give DIY refurbing a go yourself.

It really isn't difficult to get a good finish and is a damn site cheaper than paying the pros :thumbup:

Looking forward to doing the next set now :)

Edited by PastyBoy

Maybe just a set of lowering springs

No

Lower it!!

Still no :)

I find the ride crashy enough even on standard suspension and plump 16" tyres.

Mabye if the car wasn't doing 60 miles a day 5 days a week in the hands of the other half i'd consider it but it's a long distance commuter for her first and foremost.

No

Still no :)

I find the ride crashy enough even on standard suspension and plump 16" tyres.

Mabye if the car wasn't doing 60 miles a day 5 days a week in the hands of the other half i'd consider it but it's a long distance commuter for her first and foremost.

I've got Eibachs fitted to mine and I don't find the ride crashy at all with 16'' alloys fitted, did 1500 miles in last 4 weeks

Edited by chrisw880

the black works well against the red paint but i feel the intricacy of the wheels design is lost a bit

I disagree mate, the opposite in fact. You dont notice the rims as much but the actual "spiders legs" stand out a lot more.

Nice job, been a great thread to watch :thumbup: