changing octavia rear wiper

Hello

Wonder if anyone can put me straight...............my octavia 04 rear wiper cracked in the frost - at the hinge.

I sourced what i believe is the correct replacement from my local dealer and, taking off the cover and the water pipe union, undid the single nut retaining the wiper arm. I was under the impression that the unit would simply lift off the threaded pin - as indicated by the space in the circular bush on the new replacement.

However, could i get if off ? No, the old arm seems to be a part of the threaded pin (i'm hoping this makes sense to someone who's done this job), and as i was loathe to apply any force to prise it off , i've left it as it is. I assumed i didn't need to get at the motor side of the arm to sort this out - ie that it was simply a matter of removing the bolt and lifting it off.

Am i missing something here?

Thanks

John

Wiper arms are attached to the spindles by taper splines, so need some force to get off.

Put the nut back on until it's just a couple of turns off holding the arm down. Now put your biggest straight head screwdriver under the arm as far as it will go and twist it. There should be a "clunk", and the arm and the arm should "jump" out against the nut. Spin the nut back off and the arm will almost fall off. Be sure and spin the nut down tight with a spanner, rather than just do it up finger-tight afterwards!

When I changed my the rear rear wiper motor on mine I took the nut off, flipped the wiper arm up, put a couple of fingers under one side and a couple under the other and alternated the pressure until the arm eventually wiggled off.

When I changed my the rear rear wiper motor on mine I took the nut off, flipped the wiper arm up, put a couple of fingers under one side and a couple under the other and alternated the pressure until the arm eventually wiggled off.

Ditto, a bit of leverage usng the wiper works good.

Now put your biggest straight head screwdriver under the arm as far as it will go and twist it. There should be a "clunk"

The "clunk" was the sound of my rear screen breaking, so be very careful. :'(

£250 for a replacement. :doh:

An expensive **** up.

I am now looking for a tailgate with the glass intact, as it's cheaper to buy one and have it painted.

Dunno why people hae issues with wipers. Turn the wiper arm so its clear of the glass and gently rock the tip, this gives massive leverage on the splned end and will pop off very easily.

With the note that I've not tried your way yet although it makes sense, because most people get taught my way I think.

• 1 month later...

Dunno why people hae issues with wipers. Turn the wiper arm so its clear of the glass and gently rock the tip, this gives massive leverage on the splned end and will pop off very easily.

With the note that I've not tried your way yet although it makes sense, because most people get taught my way I think.

Liverpool Lad, your a star!! Worked for me perfectly!! B):D:D

Thanks.