Water for screenwash.......

Agerbundsen

Someone asked a question the other day about the reason for using condensate from a clothes dryer so dilution for concentrated WW fluid. Unfortunately I forgot to answer, and cannot seem to find that subject again.

Anyway, the condensed water from the clothes dryer is essentially distilled water with a very low mineral content. the water is evaporated from the clothes - the minerals stay behind in the clothes, so the condensed water is very low in mineral content. The result is no scale at the spray nozzles, where some of the water again evaporates.

I hope this satisfies whomsoever asked the question.

I did look at using condesate from the combi-boiler, but found that it was acidic. So not a good idea to use that.

That is because that is condensed water from the combustion process - like taking the drips from your car exhaust.

I use condensate from a dehumidifier.

That is because that is condensed water from the combustion process - like taking the drips from your car exhaust.

I use condensate from a dehumidifier.

I was going to ask about water from a dehumidifier - presumably that's OK (indeed, good) then?

Anyway, the condensed water from the clothes dryer is essentially distilled water with a very low mineral content... The result is no scale at the spray nozzles, where some of the water again evaporates.

Could you also use water that has been boiled eg in a kettle, and then allowed to cool? If I remember my O-level Chemistry correctly, that should get rid of any temporary hardness (calcium or magnesium carbonate) in the water, which I believe would be the main cause of scaling around washer nozzles. Permanent hardness (sulphates) is not removed by boiling, but then it shouldn't cause scaling either, it just disrupts the function of soap.

I suspect the hardness treatments in some washer fluids may be more to do with maintaining the detergent characteristics than stopping scale formation. But I could well be mistaken.

In 4 years of using water from either the dehumidifier or the osmotic filter water purifier I've never had a problem with the notorious Octy fine spray washer jets.

(But mostly I use VAG washer fluid anyway.)

I also use output from the dehumidifier in the pressure washer for washing the car - it actually cleans better. emoticon-0144-nod.gif

(No I didn't believe it either until I tried it. Because it isn't already nearly saturated with dissolved solids {I live in a hard water area} it dissolves soluable deposits on the car better and removes them.)

Only had my "Betty the Yeti" for three weeks, and still discovering the quirks. So far really pleased overall and only two niggles. Firstly the sunvisors are tiny, and there's a huge gap around the mirror where the low sun streams in blindingly, morning and evening. More relevant to this thread ... the screen washer jets are a bit wimpish aren't they? I've just got rid of a Volvo to buy the Yeti, and the washers on that were like fireman's hoses ... really noticing the difference!