Popping out of gear?

I'm on a roll today with new topics !!

Anyway - just had a call from the missus, who's driving the vRS today and she said it popped out of reverse when she was coming out of our driveway. Then further up the road as she was pulling away from the school after dropping our daughter off, she said that it "wasn't going anywhere" when in first, to pull off.

Seems ok now now, so she said.

Now we do have an oil leak, which a friend says smells more like gear oil than engine oil (?)

(To me it smelt like oil with exhaust fumes in it - and hence I assumed it was engine oil)

Could this be why the gears are not working correctly? - Maybe the clutch is slipping? Or if there is an engine oil leak, perhaps that's dripping over the clutch or something? - No idea - I'm no mechanic.

But it is booked in for tomorrow to be looked at anyway, so maybe more light will be shed on the situation then.

But any ideas in the meantime would be welcomed!

Cheers

Tris

Ok, so I just spoke to her again as I didn't quite understand what she said regarding first gear.

What actually happened was she was in first gear and when she applied the accelerator, nothing happened! - So the car didn't die, but it didn't rev to allow her to pull away!

Is this something to do with the throttle body? - Is something sticking?

Arrrghhh - seems like the first few days of ownership are plagued with issues........

Tris

Edited by TristanC

Well, first the bad news. Actually jumping out of gear definitely indicates badly worn gears or synchromesh on the affected ratio in most cases.

Now the good news - From the further details, I'm almost certain this isn't the issue.

In fact, these gearboxes seem to need a very precise hand, and it's quite possible your mussis just isn't engaging the gears properly yet.

Otherwise, no idea, and oil leaks are almost impssible to diagnose long-range, other than start by checking the security of the filter and cam cover.

Well, first the bad news. Actually jumping out of gear definitely indicates badly worn gears or synchromesh on the affected ratio in most cases.

Now the good news - From the further details, I'm almost certain this isn't the issue.

In fact, these gearboxes seem to need a very precise hand, and it's quite possible your mussis just isn't engaging the gears properly yet.

Otherwise, no idea, and oil leaks are almost impssible to diagnose long-range, other than start by checking the security of the filter and cam cover.

Cheers mate - I tend to agree with you on the missus not engaging the gear quite right :giggle:

Looking around the forum with regards to the no revs issue, it seems that we may have the start of a problem with the throttle body and/or the accelerator pedal ? She had to floor the accelerator to get a response - but was perfectly fine after that. - Maybe the cold damp weather this morning played a part in it?

Nevermind - I still love the car :thumbup:

Tris

Looking around the forum with regards to the no revs issue, it seems that we may have the start of a problem with the throttle body and/or the accelerator pedal ? She had to floor the accelerator to get a response - but was perfectly fine after that. - Maybe the cold damp weather this morning played a part in it?

Nevermind - I still love the car :thumbup:

Tris

Other thought on this, prompted a bit by you casting nusturshums (sp) at 'er Indoors' competence. ;) The vRS is one of the "drive by wire" models, which cut the throttle electronically when you apply the brake, so maybe, just maybe, it's not even a fault?

Other thought on this, prompted a bit by you casting nusturshums (sp) at 'er Indoors' competence. ;) The vRS is one of the "drive by wire" models, which cut the throttle electronically when you apply the brake, so maybe, just maybe, it's not even a fault?

Lol :rofl:

Good bit of info there Ken, cheers.

I'm going to take it out tonight when I get in from work just to see if I can replicate what "er in doors" experienced this morning.

Still can't get over how great and informative this forum is!! It's brilliant I tells ya ! :thumbup:

Tris

Ok, so I just got in from a quick test drive.

All seems good to me. Reverse went in nice and solid and stayed in. Gear changes were smooth, but notchy (guessing because it's a sporty box?)

But it feels blinking marvellous truth be told.

And the dieing throttle the wife had this morning, I experienced too! - It happened as I let go of the brake and straight onto the accelerator pulling out on a roundabout. A scary moment, but it did pull away after a moment! I guess this is the "safety" feature kicking in that cuts the throttle when on the brake?

While on the test drive I gave it a little bit of "welly" and the orange triangle surrounded by a circle with an arrow came on and stayed on. ON page 80 and 81 of the owners manual it says that there may be a problem with the ESP or TCS or ABS? - When I got home I stopped the car, then restarted and the light was gone.

It seems to coincide with my gear change from 2nd to 3rd, just before the redline.

I drive an S-Type 2.5 sport as my daily drive - but hell, I want the wife's vRS now !!!! I love it !!

Tris.

Ok, so I just got in from a quick test drive.

All seems good to me. Reverse went in nice and solid and stayed in. Gear changes were smooth, but notchy (guessing because it's a sporty box?)

But it feels blinking marvellous truth be told.

And the dieing throttle the wife had this morning, I experienced too! - It happened as I let go of the brake and straight onto the accelerator pulling out on a roundabout. A scary moment, but it did pull away after a moment! I guess this is the "safety" feature kicking in that cuts the throttle when on the brake?

While on the test drive I gave it a little bit of "welly" and the orange triangle surrounded by a circle with an arrow came on and stayed on. ON page 80 and 81 of the owners manual it says that there may be a problem with the ESP or TCS or ABS? - When I got home I stopped the car, then restarted and the light was gone.

It seems to coincide with my gear change from 2nd to 3rd, just before the redline.

I drive an S-Type 2.5 sport as my daily drive - but hell, I want the wife's vRS now !!!! I love it !!

Tris.

Tris, if it's done over 50K and the box is notchy, get the gear oil changed. Use any fully synth you like except Sylkolyne. Sylk is generally fine oil, but it doesn't work in VAG boxes.

Also, you may have an issue with the traction control/ABS sensors, so have someone with VCDS have a look. Fatty5000 is in Cardiff, so not that far.

Tris, if it's done over 50K and the box is notchy, get the gear oil changed. Use any fully synth you like except Sylkolyne. Sylk is generally fine oil, but it doesn't work in VAG boxes.

Also, you may have an issue with the traction control/ABS sensors, so have someone with VCDS have a look. Fatty5000 is in Cardiff, so not that far.

Nice one Ken - I'll get that oil done. Is it an easy job?

Will have to give Fatty5000 a shout too. Good call mate, ta

Tris

It would be, if not for the undertray.

1) Buy the right oil. I think it needs 2.5l, but check.

2) Remove the undertray and filler plug. That maybe sounds backwards, but you really really don't want to get the drain out and then find the filler is siezed.

3) Remove the drain plug, and allow the really horrible smelly old oil to drain.

4) Replace drain plug, and fill.

5) Replace the filler plug and go for a shortish run, maybe 4 or 5 miles at an easy pace.

6) Check the level, and for leaks.

7) Replace the undertray.

The genuine VAG oil is cheap enough so you're probably best to use that.

With regards to the throttle response issue, could it be an intermittent fault with the brake pedal switch or it's a bit sticky?

Nice one lads, muchos gracias :thumbup:

I'll use that guide when I do the box. Where do you get the VAG oil? Skoda, Audi or VW? - Guessing that one of them will charge more than the others?

I'm assuming that Skoda will be cheapest.

When I changed the autobox oil in my Volvo (now sold) I bought the auto oil from Vauxhall, as it was the same oil. and literally saved about £100 !!!

Anyway, cheers guys

Tris

Your brake pedal switch could be borked.

Do your brake lights work ok ??

I had this problem and sounds like yours tbh.

Driving along and all sudden no power at all,, but it doesn't stall

The switch is daul circut, one for the lights and one for the ecu which cuts the power when the brake is pressed.

HTH

See you tuesday :)

Your brake pedal switch could be borked.

Do your brake lights work ok ??

I had this problem and sounds like yours tbh.

Driving along and all sudden no power at all,, but it doesn't stall

The switch is daul circut, one for the lights and one for the ecu which cuts the power when the brake is pressed.

HTH

See you tuesday :)

All the brake lights work - yup :thumbup:

Although, saying that I've literally just fitted a new 3rd brake light as the old one was knackered....... could that have caused it?

(some of the bulbs in side it had exploded!!!)

Tris

I think this test works may be wrong though

Get in the car, start it up, give it a few revs, if you push the brake pedal the power should drop if the switch is good, if not it's ****** lol.

Doesn't always work though depends how the switch is broke.

I can get a switch for you for tuesday if you need one, trade price too :thumbup:

Nice one lads, muchos gracias :thumbup:

I'll use that guide when I do the box. Where do you get the VAG oil? Skoda, Audi or VW? - Guessing that one of them will charge more than the others?

I'm assuming that Skoda will be cheapest.

When I changed the autobox oil in my Volvo (now sold) I bought the auto oil from Vauxhall, as it was the same oil. and literally saved about £100 !!!

Anyway, cheers guys

Tris

I got mine from the VW garage (the Skoda dealership I went to sold me something twice as expensive that others on here said not to use). It's something like £5 a litre and the gearbox capacity is round about 2 litres. I bought two bottles and still had some left over when I'd finished anyway. I'll try and dig the part number out for you over the weekend (or tonight if I spot the bottle in the garage when I put the car away).

Edited by Schern

When you pull away and you say it just dies on you sounds more like a boosts prob or limp mode.

I get that every now and then if i put the foot down fast it like i lost all boost from the turbo for a sec or so

Hmmm, maybe this was a pre-cursor to the engine light that's now on???

tris

Iirc when my switch went mental, it was after coming off the brake, as in slow for a bend, of brake on gas ....nothing, off gas back on, fine !!

Brake light s worked fine as well

HTH

Sounds exactly like the situation I experienced. Albeit once for me and once for the wife.

Tris