More on this much discussed cambelt change question! Please reply if yours has failed!

Hi All

I am wondering if anyone on this forum had exprianced a cambelt failure on a 2007 Octavia or younger, fitted with a 1.9TDI PD (BXE engine) car?

If your cambelt or pullies etc. has failed on a 1.9tdi (BXE) at what milage did it fail?

This will be interesting to us all!

thanks

Edited by Jerseyman

Interesting, it's Sunday 6/2/11 @ 21:28 & 118 people have view this and no replies I am a bit suprised to see no one has a 1.9TDI (BXE) Octavia or am I expecting a reply to soon?

Have to admit though today this site was being updated, thanks for doing to site update - it seems a bit faster etc.

Im guessing nobody has had a timing belt fail on them,general opinion is to change them every 4 years or 60k(petrol) not sure of mileage interval for diesel but its still every 4 years,my own petrol vrs will only have around 35k on it when it is 4 years old but i will still be replacing the timing belt & water pump.

I've had mine replaced on my 2006 Octavia as well (at 110.000 km). I'd rather not have it fail at all, costs a lot more than having it replaced at the right time/mileage.

Many thanks for the replies above, as I live in Jersey where the speed limit is 40mph (my car has done 32850 miles) I am wondering if Skoda or there dealers are using this as a money spinner - playing on peoples minds etc................

I will get mine done very soon - I have exprianced 2 cars which were both under warranty - one only a few months old (Honda Civic) & a Volvo 740 with 80k odd miles on it.

I was just wondering if anyone had exprianced a cambelt etc break on a car so young with quite a low milage - after all when the car was built and the service book that came with my car clearly states a much higher milage/years to change,so I feel Skoda are putting there clients at extra servicing exspence because of there manufacting parts with a much lower MTBF than originally quoted somewhere between 2007 and whenever they changed the recommended time to renew this part,the Honda was so new I think it was just bad luck etc....

I also feel there (Skoda) quality of certain parts is lower than other manufactures, 2 examples are listed below.

1 - The rubberised paint on my electric window switches has come off, I have seen this on other Octavias, leaving white switches, not good on a car so young.My wifes Honda Jazz electric switches & my mums Hyundai Getz are good as new but both are 2/3 years older with 10 to 20k more miles on them.

2 - Seat fabric on my Classic (the black or grey sections)are very easily stained & look as though they are 12 to 15 years old, again the Jazz and the Getz are like new and easy to clean.

I know above are minor, but it is all part of the ownership expriance of a car.

Thanks anyway.

I've had mine replaced on my 2006 Octavia as well (at 110.000 km). I'd rather not have it fail at all, costs a lot more than having it replaced at the right time/mileage.

That is very late, I am going to do my second at 180,000 and I think that is late.

That is very late, I am going to do my second at 180,000 and I think that is late.

The interval is 128000km (80k miles) on a post 2004 diesel.

hi there i have 07 octy 11 with 100,000 on clock got it from benfield skoda in harrogate

usually run citroen, change belt at 100k so thought it would be same with skoda

rang benfield about service at 90k in passing they mentiond cambelt needed chenging

at 90k this is clearly incorrect,anyway got it changed at dm keith in leeds at 90k

cost £305 .00 asked about water pump they said they inspect pump if they think ok

they dont change,me thinking change again about 160k how is it dealers dont have correct

info on something as important?

I phoned Skoda UK (Customer Services) today at 4:30, the gent who I spoke to said the cambelt (toothed belt) change is VIN number specific & he will phone me tomorrow once he has checked with a technical specialst.

I will drop a line here once he has advised me on my car vin!!

thanks all!

OK, the man from Skoda says for my vin number, every 4 years or 95000 miles - whichever comes first.

It might be different for your vin number, please check with Skoda UK , customer service.

thanks