bit ov help needed car am buying needs a new abs pump!

hi all im in the process ov buying a 2007 skoda octavia vrs i fell in love with it as soon as i drove it but i noticed the abs/trction control light was on all the time on the test drive so i mentioned it to the salesman in the garage !he sed that he would get the lads to put it on the computer ,any way to cut a long story short the sales man phoned me up today and said that the car needs a new abs pump at £850 a common fault on the octavias a tend to believe!!and they were going to foot the bill for it !!the new pump is coming t morrow and al be able to pick the car up on wednesday but am a bit scepticle about this av just done a few searches on here and heard ov garages taking the bulbs out ov the light in the dash and i would be none the wiser!! so any pointers when i pick the car up on if they have fitted the new pump and how to test the abs and traction control when driving it and with the esp switch thanks any advice would be greatfully recieved thanks sie

The dash lights on the Octavia should be LEDs so it isn't easy to remove them. The ABS light comes on when the ignition is turned on as well.

Find a safe place and test the brakes, if they lock up, you have no ABS. If you boot it in first you should get an orange flashing traction control light on the dash. Obviously this should be done in a safe manner on a private piece of road.

I think the part in question is the Teves Mk60 ABS/ESP controller which is a very common fault on all sorts of cars including all VAG cars, Volvo and BMW as well IIRC.

If its not working you get a light on the dash and the ESP button LED itself is permanently on. Pushing the button or trying anything else does not remove it from the dash.

My ABS pressure sensor failed but the ABS itself was still working, it was all the traction control, etc that didnt.

As put above, push and hold the ESP button, does it go off or on (depending on what it is before you press it)? Try a wheelspin with the ABS light off (on private road of course), if it starts flashing on the dash (not sure if the LED on the button itself flashes) then its working.

btw, recon'd unit cost me total £545 removed fixed and fitted.

Edited by Rhoobarb

The dash lights on the Octavia should be LEDs so it isn't easy to remove them. The ABS light comes on when the ignition is turned on as well.

Find a safe place and test the brakes, if they lock up, you have no ABS. If you boot it in first you should get an orange flashing traction control light on the dash. Obviously this should be done in a safe manner on a private piece of road.

I think the part in question is the Teves Mk60 ABS/ESP controller which is a very common fault on all sorts of cars including all VAG cars, Volvo and BMW as well IIRC.

The ABS itself isn't actually affected by this fault, just the ESP.