Communication

The Plumber

Must be getting old and techno phobic but what are all these share this topic icons, yes I've heard of twitter and facebook (not used mind) but Digg, Buzz, Redit and StumbleUpon :wonder:

How many more ways do we need to communicate. Rate were going mankind will forget how to speak :giggle:

Goodnight

TP

There seems to be a - to me at least - disturbing trend to "communicate" rather than to say something.

My idea of social networking is meeting at your local pub :giggle: .............................not this Facebook or Twitter TRASH

Quite often I hear people in the breakout area at work say "Ooooooh, I've been tweeted" or "Somones just poked me on Facebook" I don't want to offend those that do, but these social network sites are RUBBISH & TRASH and I HATE THEM emoticon-0120-doh.gif

My idea of social networking is meeting at your local pub :giggle: .............................not this Facebook or Twitter TRASH

Quite often I hear people in the breakout area at work say "Ooooooh, I've been tweeted" or "Somones just poked me on Facebook" I don't want to offend those that do, but these social network sites are RUBBISH & TRASH and I HATE THEM emoticon-0120-doh.gif

I resisted social networking for a very long time. However, I was eventually persuaded to join Facebook as a means of publicising a not-for-profit film festival. As a result, I've now reconnected with a lot of old work colleagues and friends I haven't seen for years. A fair few of these connections have led to meetings in the flesh. I don't have many friends locally, and with a glass of wine at £5.25 in the local pub, I'm not likely to spend much time there. Anyway, forums such as this are a form of social networking and a very valuable one. As for Twitter, I really don't get the point, but then I don't use a mobile phone very often.

I find facebook useful and interesting though used sparingly. Skoda has a section(s) on there. I'm not of the perecieved facebook generation either - I'm pipe and slipper brigade

Edited by Jrayworth

Like many of the old farts above I too found the necessity to tell the world that I had just had a great big cup of coffee resistible!!

However - it does have its uses.

A year and a half ago I wanted to raise funds for our local Hospice where my wife had received exemplary care and attention. I set about having a reunion of our daft comedy folk band of the 70s and 80s which last played in 1992 - again in aid of the Hospice. Our fiddler's wife had also died in there.

18 years is a long time for people to emigrate, move, separate and so on, so i set about using FaceBook, scrabbling around for "friends" and friends of friends. I also set up a page "Hats off for the Hospice" (we were the Hat Band) and that page went from zero to well over 1000 people, all over the world. It certainly created awareness of what we were up to, and as a result, for zero expense, we had two sell out concerts in Hereford - about 1000 bums on seats, and a further one in Builth (200) One chap even came back from NZ, solely to hear us one more time.

As a result of the sellouts we raised £25010 for the Hospice, including the sales of 300 double DVDs of the show!! People ordered the DVD online. the whole thing was extraordinary, and thanks to FaceBook we were able to raise awareness not only of the Hospice and what it did and how it is funded, we also were able to reach our "fans" of 20-30 years ago who wanted to relive the experience, and to bring their 'children' too!!

We had extensive radio coverage and a bit of TV too, and the concert was streamed live over the internet courtesy of Hospital Radio. One further internet site that was essential was JustGiving, where people could donate online securely. (To read the full story, or to make a donation, see some video clips, and some pic, visit www.justgiving.com/george-cooper where all is revealed. Or go to the Freshacre channel on YouTube.) And my thanks to some members of Briskoda who have already donated and bought DVDs (have u watched it yet, Graham??)

Oh - and one further benefit! The old fogeys in the band had a whale of a time, but it took me about a week to recover from standing upright, guitar round my neck, neck bent to the mic, tin one p[osition for over three hours!

And if anyone donates - thanks in advance. Tis a great cause that I hope none of you needs to make use of. That said, they did my Missus proud!

So - in talking "communication" - it certainly is both a pain, and incredibly useful as you can see. We'd never have achieved what we did without the technology.

Edited by Freshacre

Yes George I have watched it and donated, thanks.

Many of you won't have met George but I would suggest that you have a look at his pages and support his charities. I know what a wonderful job the Hospice does. You might also realise how mad he is!!

Good singer too.

I'm another old f#rt who does Facebook, but with 3 kids spread across the country and family all over the world it's sometimes the easiest way to know what's happening to them all. However I keep it simple and can't be bothered with all the "extras" that keep popping up.

Now who wants to start a Yetiist Group on there?