Buying A Brand New Vrs Tdi Need Advice!

Mirrors are still an option in the spec list i posted? also auto dimming too.

That works out at £26700! Thats over £8k more than i paid with mine....that has a couple of extras to the Ireland standard spec (18's, heated seats, Xenon's, bluetooth, MFSW)

I paid over 10k less for nearly the same spec :p

Edited by Tim31

I paid over 10k less for nearly the same spec :p

sans Xenon's and bluetooth by any chance? ;)

Mirrors are still an option in the spec list i posted? also auto dimming too.

I think the spec list is a bit misleading,

It does say electric folding mirrors

But what it actually means is they are electric ( adjusting) and are folding but not electric fold

I think the spec list is a bit misleading,

It does say electric folding mirrors

But what it actually means is they are electric ( adjusting) and are folding but not electric fold

I would have thought they would be as they are auto dimming....

I would have thought they would be as they are auto dimming....

When I asked the dealer at the tie of ordering my car he said the electric fold option had been dropped in the FL...

This is the optional extra available

:Elec adjusted heated door mirrors [PW9] € 306

Door mirrors ; light sensitive

You could still be right but it doesnt say electric folding there ?

We pay a lot more for cars in Ireland than you guys in the UK and europe for that matter. Our government load on big taxes for all cars. Then again we do have superb roads :(

For you guys in the UK saying you got a cheaper price than we pay in Ireland for the same spec we all know damn well over here..... our cars are far too expensive, but believe it or not we have the cheapest cars in Europe before the government get involved.

Problem is Ireland charges not only VAT but another tax VRT = value related tax on cars which increases with luxury brands or high spec. The government in Ireland actually tax all cars as if its a luxury item and not a necessity under their system... This was deemed illegal by the EU back in the 90's but Denmark and Ireland got approved to keep it until 2013 and are now looking for an extension.

Someone needs to bring this to the European court of law for example it increases the price of a High Spec S320 Merc from about 78k Euro in the UK to about 115K euro in Ireland for the exact same car. The government bank the extra supposedly for infrastructure but as some of you may know our roads are terrible once you leave a national or motorway route so this cash ins't going where they promised the EU it would. Its just one of a load of stealth taxes our completely useless governments use and will continue to use.

This is why plenty of Irish buyers go north of the border to buy a new car then pay VRT to import the car.

Also if you buy a car north you HAVE to register it if driving and living south or the revenue agents will take it from you.

How much you pay is decided by a random guy who inspects the car which is another joke as they all have different opinions.

Total rubbish law and illegal also as we are all members of the EU and should be allowed drive cars wherever we want. If Ireland just scrapped it yes the dealers would lose because prices would drop about 15% on all second hand cars in particular 1 or 2 year olds but we would then become a major exporter of cars to the UK as our prices would be considerably lower...the dealers wold sell more new cars...the Government could charge a deregistration fee for exports and make the loss back once the industry got large enough and for once the people of Ireland would get a fair deal. But the dealers lobby government and get their way.

For me it really annoys me considering I spend 250 days each year working all over Europe and in my opinion should be allowed have a car from any European country I want.

One other part of it that some of you Irish guys may not realize is that it affects the cost of extra options also so if you buy say a new VW Scirocco 2 LTR TFSI the extras all cost more than the TDI versions because yes you guessed it VRT is also added to extra options and is linked now to CO2 emissions...its cheaper to buy a car and then purchase the extras after if you can fit them yourself but in many cases it has to be factroy fitted ie parking sensors etc etc.

Ireland the land of fat cat politicians and a people who never seem to stand up for themselves...A recent Irish newspaper put it nicely.."The Irish don't do protests we do revolution and conflict" at some stage the people will revolt if the new government about to be voted in don't sort some of these things out.

Rant over lol!!

Edited by CnSky

For you guys in the UK saying you got a cheaper price than we pay in Ireland for the same spec we all know damn well over here..... our cars are far too expensive, but believe it or not we have the cheapest cars in Europe before the government get involved.

Problem is Ireland charges not only VAT but another tax VRT = value related tax on cars which increases with luxury brands or high spec. The government in Ireland actually tax all cars as if its a luxury item and not a necessity under their system... This was deemed illegal by the EU back in the 90's but Denmark and Ireland got approved to keep it until 2013 and are now looking for an extension.

Someone needs to bring this to the European court of law for example it increases the price of a High Spec S320 Merc from about 78k Euro in the UK to about 115K euro in Ireland for the exact same car. The government bank the extra supposedly for infrastructure but as some of you may know our roads are terrible once you leave a national or motorway route so this cash ins't going where they promised the EU it would. Its just one of a load of stealth taxes our completely useless governments use and will continue to use.

This is why plenty of Irish buyers go north of the border to buy a new car then pay VRT to import the car.

Also if you buy a car north you HAVE to register it if driving and living south or the revenue agents will take it from you.

How much you pay is decided by a random guy who inspects the car which is another joke as they all have different opinions.

Total rubbish law and illegal also as we are all members of the EU and should be allowed drive cars wherever we want. If Ireland just scrapped it yes the dealers would lose because prices would drop about 15% on all second hand cars in particular 1 or 2 year olds but we would then become a major exporter of cars to the UK as our prices would be considerably lower...the dealers wold sell more new cars...the Government could charge a deregistration fee for exports and make the loss back once the industry got large enough and for once the people of Ireland would get a fair deal. But the dealers lobby government and get their way.

For me it really annoys me considering I spend 250 days each year working all over Europe and in my opinion should be allowed have a car from any European country I want.

One other part of it that some of you Irish guys may not realize is that it affects the cost of extra options also so if you buy say a new VW Scirocco 2 LTR TFSI the extras all cost more than the TDI versions because yes you guessed it VRT is also added to extra options and is linked now to CO2 emissions...its cheaper to buy a car and then purchase the extras after if you can fit them yourself but in many cases it has to be factroy fitted ie parking sensors etc etc.

Ireland the land of fat cat politicians and a people who never seem to stand up for themselves...A recent Irish newspaper put it nicely.."The Irish don't do protests we do revolution and conflict" at some stage the people will revolt if the new government about to be voted in don't sort some of these things out.

Rant over lol!!

+1 to everything you have said. We are getting fleased here. No escape. You guys in the UK are so lucky. Great prices on cars and great roads to boot!!