Strange Noise When Disengaing 3-5Th Gear

max vrs

Hi,

Been trawling the forums but can't find anything that matches the description of my problem.

Basically when disengaging the clutch in gears 3,4 and 5, a strange noise is coming from the engine. Noise sounds a little like a flat tire i.e wub-wub-wub but with a much more mechanical sound. When new gear is engaged, noise disappears. If coasting the intensity of the noise decreases (ie starts fast and slows but does not disappear). Have tried to record the noise but can only hear it once driving. Unable to replicate noise otherwise.

Car seems to be driving fine - 05 vrs with 90,000 on clock

Any ideas?

diff??

TBH Hoping it's not the diff! Though did have this in back of mind

Today noise is same however now seems related to road speed. Occurs above 30 and gets more intense (though no louder) as speed increases. Also i'm sire i can hear it during normal driving - in gear or not.

Am thinking it might be wheel bearing, or possibly loose ARB bushes? Any of these likely?

I've checked all the wheel bolts - no probs there.

Cheers

If you can hear it all the time in driving then wheel bearing could be a likely cause although I thought my bearing was gone last week changed my wheels over to some different alloys and it was tire noise. Old tires getting close to legal limit toyo t1r on front yoko prada spec 2 on rear.

Hope this helps

Hi,

Been trawling the forums but can't find anything that matches the description of my problem.

Basically when disengaging the clutch in gears 3,4 and 5, a strange noise is coming from the engine. Noise sounds a little like a flat tire i.e wub-wub-wub but with a much more mechanical sound. When new gear is engaged, noise disappears. If coasting the intensity of the noise decreases (ie starts fast and slows but does not disappear). Have tried to record the noise but can only hear it once driving. Unable to replicate noise otherwise.

Car seems to be driving fine - 05 vrs with 90,000 on clock

Any ideas?

Also have a noise on my 07SE its done 63,000 miles and at 65-70 mph it makes a drumming sound tends to drop off at 75 but that may be wind noise taking over.

Going to fit new front tyres on the weekend and move the fronts to back approx 4mm of tread on them and see what happens, I hope that gets rid of it.

I can hear the noise if the car is out of gear and coasting on smooth surfaces. was thinking about changing the gearbox oil see if that makes any difference.

Anyone have the same problem?

Sweep, i recon your problem may well be wheel balancing, and old tyres. If your getting the tyres changed you may as well pay the extra tenner and get the tracking done at the same time.

Max, I'd straight away think about shaft bearings or box unfortunately. I've not had my fabia long enough to check if there's a middle shaft bearing on the o/s driver's side. I know this is often a problem in french machines. This can cause these symptoms.

A bit of an 'old school' way to check further is to jack one side of the front up, run the car in gear, then do the other side, see if the noise/symptoms are limited to one side. Now, this may not be a plan suitable to everyone so be sure your cool with it before you do it.

If the symptoms are limited to one side it's a big help in narrowing it down and is more likely to not be the box then.

Thanks dgmp tyres are on order and will have them fitted on the weekend (bridgestones) did not mention but the box shifts very smooth and other than this drumming noise all is OK.

The noise does not change when you go around corners as if a wheel bearing is on its way out so inclined to go for easy option 1st, the rear tyres are worn anyway, will look at tracking when they are being fitted.

I do have a worry about the box as I have seen postings on the net that they appear to have problems with the diff. I have an aftermarket warranty on the car so I hope it will cover repairs if the problem is more serious,

Thanks dgmp tyres are on order and will have them fitted on the weekend (bridgestones) did not mention but the box shifts very smooth and other than this drumming noise all is OK.

The noise does not change when you go around corners as if a wheel bearing is on its way out so inclined to go for easy option 1st, the rear tyres are worn anyway, will look at tracking when they are being fitted.

I do have a worry about the box as I have seen postings on the net that they appear to have problems with the diff. I have an aftermarket warranty on the car so I hope it will cover repairs if the problem is more serious,