Car Needs Polishing - recommendations?

colsay

Hi everyone. My car is 9 months old and its original shine which lasted until Xmas has now gone decidely a bit flat - so it needs polishing. I have been using Turtle Wax Metallic polish on my wife's Mini but am not over impressed with the result so this is not an obvious choice for the Skoda.

Colour is Rosso Brunello metallic. Any suggestions appreciated.

Hi everyone. My car is 9 months old and its original shine which lasted until Xmas has now gone decidely a bit flat - so it needs polishing. I have been using Turtle Wax Metallic polish on my wife's Mini but am not over impressed with the result so this is not an obvious choice for the Skoda.

Colour is Rosso Brunello metallic. Any suggestions appreciated.

Hi There - I've never had any trouble with AutoGlym products - a bit pricey but what a shine on previous cars.

I just got a new (well new for me) 53 plate octavia elegance tdi and due to the weather and having no drive, have spent the last weeks lunchtimes systematically polishing the dash and plastic, shampooing the door cloth inserts and today hoovering the interior.

Now it's almost fit to drive.

It'll have to wait till some better weather before I take it to a power wash (gets rid of all the bugs) and will ask them if I can borrow a corner of their plot to polish it myself.

Engine bay needs some cleaning too but they don't steam clean them anymore due to the fuel management computers getting damp etc.

Good luck with the polish hunt.

http://purple13.blogspot.com

Engine bay needs some cleaning too but they don't steam clean them anymore due to the fuel management computers getting damp etc.

Never had any problem with my engine bay....All Purpose cleaner on a warm engine, leave it to dwell for a few mins and jet wash it off...Its a diesel so no dizzy cap to get wet.

Back to the OP - Use something like Autoglym Auto Resin Polish then seal it in with some Auto Glym Extra Gloss protection then as a last step to get a better shine and more protection put something like Collinite 476 wax on it...as many coats as you can be bothered to do!

Think this thread should be moved to Styling and Car Care...you may get more replies. :thumbup:

Have a look in the Detailing and Car Care section on here - plenty of info for you :thumbup:

And a better place to ask questions really, rather than in a model-specific section.

Cheers,

Steve

Thanks for all the replies and apologies for not looking in the right place (on the forum) in the first place!

Happy to Help!

Never had any problem with my engine bay....All Purpose cleaner on a warm engine, leave it to dwell for a few mins and jet wash it off...Its a diesel so no dizzy cap to get wet.

Back to the OP - Use something like Autoglym Auto Resin Polish then seal it in with some Auto Glym Extra Gloss protection then as a last step to get a better shine and more protection put something like Collinite 476 wax on it...as many coats as you can be bothered to do!

Think this thread should be moved to Styling and Car Care...you may get more replies. :thumbup:

Hi - Garage said NO to steam clean / hosing engine bay due to all cpu's etc.

How careful do you have to be?

Was resigned to wiping it down by hand..... yukky long job but has to be done.

Jonathan

Hi - Garage said NO to steam clean / hosing engine bay due to all cpu's etc.

How careful do you have to be?

Was resigned to wiping it down by hand..... yukky long job but has to be done.

Jonathan

Put it this way - i've jet washed the engine bay on the Bora for the last 6 years. I do it every 3-6 months depending how mucky it gets.

I have never had a problem and i'm not careful at all - i just jet the lot!

Another tip, whilst the engine bay is still wet, spray all the plastics with Auto Glym Vinyl and Rubber Care, then shut the bonnet, looks like new when its dry.

I'd highly recommend the Werkstat Acrylic kit for metallics. Incredibly easy to use even in winter, as it's not temperature sensitive. It's not too pricey either and Polished Bliss are even offering free shipping now! They'll give you all the advice you need and their website also gives you all the info on their products you'll need too. No brainer...

The Werkstat range is good. Seconded.

On the engine cleaning issue, I'd just advise caution and common sense really. I personally only hose it down (not pressure wash) then some all-purpose cleaner applied via brush and an old MF washmitt, then rinse down again. Dry off with an older drying towel and then apply some 303 Aerospace Protectant. Keeps it looking good for a decent while then.

For pro advice, read this: http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/caring-for-modern-engines.html

Cheers,

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

If it outlasts Collinite 476 for protection and beading I think I'd eat some of the wax myself ;)

Have seen it endure for 12 months, with the car left outdoors.

Excellent stuff indeed - u still using the stuff from my group buy way back?

Would have thought having metallic paint it would keep it's sheen, when washed.

I have had metallic painted cars in the past, as said didn't polish, but looked brand new after a good wash.

If it outlasts Collinite 476 for protection and beading I think I'd eat some of the wax myself ;)

Have seen it endure for 12 months, with the car left outdoors.

+1

Colly is great, after the three coats that are on my car I'm sure water hovers above the paint!!!

Would have thought having metallic paint it would keep it's sheen, when washed.

I have had metallic painted cars in the past, as said didn't polish, but looked brand new after a good wash.

Not really the way it works, given that the metallic flake particles in the colour coat tend to be covered by a clear lacquer coat (so it's the lacquer that keeps the shine).