Shark stage 1 remap and Admiral insurance

tikka69

Hi All

Currently with Admiral insurance for my 2010 octy vrs petrol and paying about 500 quid for me and the gf on the policy ( both 36 )

I am looking at putting on a shark stage 1 and have checked the website and you can now add modifications on the online quote.

they do have 3 chipped/ECU options for bhp increase, one for 0-10% , one for 10-25% and one for 25% +

If I choose the 10-25% ( which is about what the stage 1 drops into I reckon ) it is adding 100 quid to my premuim.

My question is will the chipped/ecu option cover you for a remap, as its not exactly a chip replacement as such.

Or am I just worrying too much !!

TIA

Paul.

Edited by tikka69

Chipped ECU is the old term used for remapping. They are the same thing, nothing to stop you selecting the lowest option if you want to keep the premium down as you would have declared a remap.

Chipped ECU is the old term used for remapping. They are the same thing, nothing to stop you selecting the lowest option if you want to keep the premium down as you would have declared a remap.

Really? I was looking at this the other day. For me a Stage 1 would take me from 130 to 165bhp, an increase of 35 bhp or about 25%. If I know this in advance surely it would be wrong to knowingly select the "under 10%" option?

Admiral wont cover me for a remap, but are happy to cover me for chipping.

I asked what the difference was (expecting a wooly mixed up answer), but the girl knew the difference between them. She said she had no information on why chipping was ok but remapping not. Needless to say the new car will be insured elsewhere :-)

Admiral wont cover me for a remap, but are happy to cover me for chipping.

I asked what the difference was (expecting a wooly mixed up answer), but the girl knew the difference between them. She said she had no information on why chipping was ok but remapping not. Needless to say the new car will be insured elsewhere :-)

Hi mate

I am now a bit concerned about what you have said as my insurance is due in about 5 days.

They were happy to cover me for as it states " Engine chip 11-25% inc BHP ". The person I spoke to had no clue at all and just took my word for it and it put about 80 quid on the premium.

Surely this is treated the same as a remap as your modifying to engine chip to x % increase in bhp " ??

Just want to know if I need to be phoning round sharpish !!

Was going to post a few links but google "admiral remap" first page is just full of people asking why they care about the difference. I didn't feel brave enough to go ahead with it and plead ignorance if something happened. You've got to imagine the only times they'd really care would be total loss, and it'd be a hassle to check each car for a remap, still just couldn't get my head around it.

The other thing to watch with them is the options on your car - they don't cover by default. So your £25k list price car gets replaced with a basic spec £18k list price car if it gets written off in the first year. I had to ask them to cover my options, they didn't charge any extra thankfully, but still had to ask for them to be covered.

Suspension mods are cheap with them, £35/year for a drop & roll bars IIRC (on top of a £400ish premium).

Mmmmmm

Bit concerned about this, going to ring up Admiral this morning and get a clear answer on this.

Thanks for the advice Mute, I did google "admiral remap" and there are loads of people with exactly the same query.

Some have said admiral refused a remap, others said it was OK, some seem to be just choosing the chipped to x% option for a remap..

Like you say yourself, its whether you want to risk it or not.

Personally I will only be happy if the policy states that the mod is a remap and not "engine chip".

We shall see....

Hi all

Just to update after a while on the phone yesterday and me insisting that the policy stated it as a remap and not a engine chip change, they have decided they could no longer insure me if I got it done.

So, went off searching and gave LV a try, noticed you could add mods via the online quote system and checked with the assistants via live chat that a remap is covered ok on there category of "engine - management chip changed".

They are fine with this and I also had the transcript emailed to me so I have it if its ever questioned

Maybe I did too much digging and worried too much but I would rather be sure...

On the plus side LV are covering me with the remap for the princely sum of £470. Thats still 50 quid less than admiral wanted for the standard car !

:D

How many people buying 5p resistors for £40 off ebay, which make ridiculous claims like over 25% extra BHP, declare to their insurance they have over 25% extra BHP?! :rofl:

On the plus side LV are covering me with the remap for the princely sum of £470. Thats still 50 quid less than admiral wanted for the standard car !

:o:o:o:o:o

I'm 37 and currently pay ~£530 and when I tried to get a quote (tried lots of places) for getting a stage 1 remap, the cheapest one came in at just over £1100!!!!!!! I guess having a Manchester post code doesn't help, but that was a ridiculous increase. So sadly I wasn't able to take advantage of the Shark STS group buy :'(

If there is another Shark group buy then I'm going to do some intensive digging into getting a better quote!!