oil pump

samson1

• 1 month later...

The pump on my 2006 TDI 140 failed last year at 42,000 miles. New oil pump and new Turbo required.

Its been back on the road and now at 58,000 with no trouble since.

It still worries me though as i'm unsure whether to expect another failure. All the dealer would tell me is the new pump is a different part number.

The pump on my 2006 TDI 140 failed last year at 42,000 miles. New oil pump and new Turbo required.

Its been back on the road and now at 58,000 with no trouble since.

It still worries me though as i'm unsure whether to expect another failure. All the dealer would tell me is the new pump is a different part number.

i was told by my ind skoda/ vw garage that if part had diff part no it was poss modified .its a grey area .no honest info from manufacturer.19.400 140 bss preying for another 11000 miles

Thanks.

I was afraid of that, its a poor show of Skoda to be so vague. I also feel i have my fingers crossed every time I drive anywhere. Frustrating as in every other way its the best car I've ever owned.

I agree with what you say...especially the comfort, its performance, reasonable ecconomy and luxurious ride. Let down by poor engineering that cost a few quid. Nothing worst than ending up owing a few quid either !! I was all for keeping our car, but like yourself, i didnt fancy owning it and worrying when it would possibly fail again.Even though i still have a brand new oil pump sitting in my loungue, as when it was fitted, further problems was found with the engine, and when a new engine was supplied and fitted, it came with the oil pump.So must get round to selling it soon..considering what the price of it was new, and only been in use for like 10mins, it's going to be a bargain for someone eventually. But i do miss the car, and even more so having found it on the internet up for sale for a ridiculously high price.

Sorry for stepping in, but isn't it a lot wiser to just drop the sump and replace the pump every, say 40k miles? This could only be a couple of hundred, and would guarantee no breakdowns. I would do this if I had a 2.0. I am glad I didn't buy one of these.

The trouble seems to be no reliable predictor of how long they last. If skoda would guarantee the new pump for 40k then what you suggest would probably be the best course. On my usage that's 3 years and I'd live with it.

They won't though and some of these appear to have gone as early as 27k.

I'm considering trading it this weekend for an Octavia.

You probably think that the quotes on here are all doom and gloom...for somebody it has actually happened, myself included, and for those like myself who spent a lot of money on a brand new car only to see it basically die at 38940 miles isnt good reading.

I dont think skoda could guarantee their oil pumps lasting even at 26k miles let alone the 60k miles they quote on their warranty..which leaves a lot to be desired if you ask me. And as you say replacing the oil pump every 40k miles (if it lasts that is ) is a lot more than a cppl of hundred quid. think of £1300 inc labour and vat @20%!! That equates to roughly just under ten quid a week thats added to the motoring budget, and the same amount again if the turbo goes. Or even if you spend £4200 for a new engine supplied and fitted every 3yrs that equates to around £30 a week, which i suppose on reflection isnt too bad if only skoda could guarantee their oil pumps for 3yrs or more.

So oilpumpvictim, if your thinking of trading it for another car, then it might be a wise decision, no matter how much the car has got your heart strings, you got to accept it will fail again...wether in your present ownership, or even if somebody else buys it, and then the problem arises again!

I think the octavia is a good choice, also have a look at the seat exeo...about the same size as the octavia, but based on the audi a4 and a new interior with new common rail chain driven engines. Try looking for an exeo....its almost as exclusive as the superb...and not many on the road.

The whole issue shoud be taken to court, as long as the car had main dealer servicing VAG should repay every penny they've cost ppl with this, if they warrant parts it should be mileage based not time or mileage, either supply proper parts or face ruin in the end.

A mechanic mate of mine was told by a VAG tech that it was unsuitable oil that causes this, this was obviously what VAG had told their tech's to hide the cheap part fail.