Hatch lights not working any ideas?

Hi All

My lights in the "boot" have ceased to operate, all other lights are fine does anyone have any idea what may be causing this i couldn't find any info on here relating to hatchbacks only estates. I dont realy want to take it to the dealers!!

Thanks in advance

John

There are TWO lights in the boot area. They are wired in parallel. If both fail to come on then it is most likely that there is a fault with the switch. Unfortunately the switch is built into the hatch lock unit. You could hunt around in there for a loose connection - you might get lucky. Does the rear hatch release work OK?

Another alternative is loss of 12V feed to the lights. They are on the same circuit as the glove box light. Does that work?

I've got a similar issue - no hatch lights. Annoying at this time of year! Was just thinking about it today in fact - anyone know which fuse they're connected to? Had a scan through the fuse section of the manual, but couldn't see an obvious/definite one...

And haven't actually tried changing the bulb either :dull:- will pick a pair up and give it a go.

I've got a similar issue - no hatch lights. Annoying at this time of year! Was just thinking about it today in fact - anyone know which fuse they're connected to? Had a scan through the fuse section of the manual, but couldn't see an obvious/definite one...

And haven't actually tried changing the bulb either :dull:- will pick a pair up and give it a go.

All of the interior lights run via the B4 power control relay. If the fuse or relay had failed then there would be no interior lights at all. If just the boot lights have failed then unfortunately the switch in the lock may be faulty - possibly water getting into it?

All of the interior lights run via the B4 power control relay. If the fuse or relay had failed then there would be no interior lights at all. If just the boot lights have failed then unfortunately the switch in the lock may be faulty - possibly water getting into it?

Thanks for the confirmation; I had a feeling they'd all be run on the same. Everything else is working light-wise, so it's either the bulbs or the switch. Knowing my luck, it'll be the latter! I suspect it in fact, as when using the remote boot unlock, the car doesn't always register it's been shut afterwards and re-lock; I sometimes have to manually hit the remote lock again.

Any idea on price for a replacement switch/catch unit?

Cheers,

Steve

Well, last time I bought a Fabia door lock (with actuator) it was about £100, so a Octavia boot lock is probably not going to be a whole lot cheaper - I guess £70. Unfortunately I don't think you can buy the switch separately.

I think you are correct in your diagnosis. This switch reports to the central locking controller that the latch has closed - so if its not registering closed then it is likely to be the problem. Thankfully they look pretty easy to replace.

Thanks again for that info. Just seemed a little more than coincidence, when I noticed the car hadn't locked itself again after using the remote boot button :dull:

Maxidot seems to be aware of when the boot is open or closed though, so not entirely sure exactly which part of the assembly is broken/faulty...

I'll see if I can get a dealer price on one.

Cheers,

Steve

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Did you get any further with this? mine is doing the same, the boot lights dont light up, the bulbs are fine, the interior lights work yet the maxidot knows when the boot is open.

Thanks

Robin

Not had chance to investigate further I'm afraid. Yours sounds like the same set of circumstances though!

I'll update the thread with anything I find.

Ive just had the trim off the boot lid, my locking mechanism is spotless, no signs of water.

I did have a thought though, I had the car serviced a few weeks ago and had them alter the DRL settings (turned them off as I have tunnel lights and it was using dipped beam as DRL`s), and look at the auto wipers. They said they had trouble with the DRL settings but managed it in the end. Could the boot lights be affected by this, ie. could there be a setting in vag-com or dealer equiv that they could have altered by mistake?

After reading through a seat forum I decided to check the connectors that are by the cd changer. I have already had the carpet out on that side as I had previously had a leaking washer hose there. I didnt think to check before because the connectors are above the hose, so it wouldnt have dripped onto it. But decided to check to make sure anyway. While removeing the carpet I forgot to disconect the light, so it tugged on the wires slightly, I looked at it and realised the bulb was on. I took the carpet off anyway and fiddled with the connectors, whatever I did (tugging/wiggling wires) the bulb stayed on , it didnt even flicker (until I seaperated the connectors). The connectors were shiney, no corrosion. I put everything back how it was originally and it was still working.

I gave the car a wash, then re-opened the boot. The light didnt come one, shut the boot, locked, unlocked the whole car, opend the boot and it had come on again. I decided that it must just be a timeout between unlocking the car and opening the boot, so drove home. Got home, opened the boot, no lights. Tried all combinations of locking and unlocking I could think of, with no effect.

Surely that points to an issue with a portion of the wiring/loom?

If you managed to get somewhere by moving the wires, and there's no sign of wear, snagging, water ingress or corrosion then you might have an internal break somewhere?

Repeat the excercise you did before,and move along the wiring that you're able to access?

Ive just worked along the wire from the bulb back to the first clip (which is as far as I can reach atm, working through the flap for changing rear lights). Had no effect, I will dismantle the carpet again tomorrow and have another go, maybe unplug the connector again and seeing if that makes a difference.

Thanks

Robin

I think there may be a 'time out' system on these lights. In other words, if you open the boot the lights should come on, but if you leave the boot open they will turn off after about 10 minutes (battery saving device apparently). To switch the lights back on again you have to close the boot and re-open it again.

Now then, if the lights stay on when the boot is closed (something not noticed if the boot cover is in place), then they will go off after a short time and not come on again until the power is switched off and turned on again - so this could be the switch. I may not have explained that very well, but you get the drift.

Mac

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Ah this has just happened to me and when I close the boot lid with the rubber closing dangly thingy something raffles around the area of the boot lock? Do you think this could be connected or disconnected as the case may be?

Typical it going this time of year though :(