Head lamp MOT Failure

So my Scout failed its first MOT today as the head light alignment was too high. The garage adjusted the lights in order to retest, but now I am left with big gaps near the grill end and the light units are no longer flush with the bonnet or bumper i.e the stick out.

Has anyone else experianced this? Have the garage just adjusted them incorrectly?

When you adjust the headlamps, the reflector assembly moves inside the housing, so there should be no difference around the grille or bumper. Sounds like they don't know what they are doing :wonder:

Alignment is set by moving the optical assembly INSIDE the headlamp - not by moving the entire headlight unit! In fact the headlamp mounting does not need to be touched. Sounds like they have done it wrong, although it is such an elementary adjustment its hard to believe they got it wrong. Maybe they gave it to the work-experience lad on his first day?

What they have done is move the plates that the lights sit on if you take the lights out you will see what looks like black circles they can be adjusted to fix the gap problem, how i know is Border Skoda have seriously fecked mine up (along with other things)

Take it to a dealer and sort it there seems as if they know nothing.

Thanks all, it is a garage with a good reputation that has served us well in the past. My wife, who took the car in for the MOT said it was not the usual chap we have who did it so it is possible that someone with the lack of experience screwed it up. I will give them a chance to fix it tomorrow, but its a real pain as I have to drive to Inverness tomorrow afternoon and this will delay me. Bother!! :swear: I will certainly ask for a some compensation for the inconvenience.

Does anyone have a link to some instructions on how it should be done?

Edited by KayakJim