Should I buy this?

Jigger72

If any of these cars sees water in any part of the electrical system - walk away from it.

The node joints in the loom and the "sealed" connectors trap water which gradually corrodes away any poles which are permanently live. A car like this will be a future money pit.

rotodiesel.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If any of these cars sees water in any part of the electrical system - walk away from it.

The node joints in the loom and the "sealed" connectors trap water which gradually corrodes away any poles which are permanently live. A car like this will be a future money pit.

rotodiesel.

But the dealer did say the electrics had been fixed? If they were fixed and the door seals done, then I should just need to look at the plenum chamber and resealing the pollen filter housing, or am I deluding myself because I like the car?

Personally I too would walk away from it, there is too much potential for it to become a money sponge.

I have not heard of the door seals leaking on the Superb either - that is not to say they do not leak, as many others in the VAG range do, but I have not heard of one leaking this way

It is all too easy to let your heart rule your head in these instances, but unless you can rewire half the car yourself then it''s going to cost you big time and could be a ball ache..

Oh well. I'll give the dealer one more ring to confirm what was done and then see.

Thanks for everyone's help. I was hoping to get a new car sorted before my insurance is due for it's massive renewal hike early April but maybe I'll have to bite the bullet :(

Hmmm, could be best to pass on this one. The electrics are by far the worst part of these vehicles, a pity really.

And it was all looking so good for a while there :(

Just another thing to mention so I can be absolutely sure to walk away from this. When I turned the key in the ignition there was a kind of electric 'swoosh' sound, almost (but not quite) like central locking engaging, although it wasn't this. I wondered if it was the glow plugs coming to life? Be handy to know for future reference.

And do you have to push the open-lock button twice on the fob to unlock the rear doors?

Anyway, probably not worth worrying about as it looks like this one's dead in the water :giggle:

Just another thing to mention so I can be absolutely sure to walk away from this. When I turned the key in the ignition there was a kind of electric 'swoosh' sound, almost (but not quite) like central locking engaging, although it wasn't this. I wondered if it was the glow plugs coming to life? Be handy to know for future reference.

And do you have to push the open-lock button twice on the fob to unlock the rear doors?

Anyway, probably not worth worrying about as it looks like this one's dead in the water :giggle:

Could this 'swoosh' sound of been liquid pressurising? a lot of VAG cars swoosh when there is less than half a tank of fuel, it's the fuel being pumped to the engine and perfectly normal)

The central locking can be set up to open just the drivers door with one press, a second press will open the rest of the car, or it can be set up to open all doors on one press.

The bumper looked like it has been painted, so it maybe just not refitted very well.

For piece of mind I would not buy one that has had the water ingress, you may be lucky and find it has been repaired very well, but it's just not worth the risk IMO, keep looking there are plenty around, it's not worth settling for second best.

Could this 'swoosh' sound of been liquid pressurising? a lot of VAG cars swoosh when there is less than half a tank of fuel, it's the fuel being pumped to the engine and perfectly normal)

The central locking can be set up to open just the drivers door with one press, a second press will open the rest of the car, or it can be set up to open all doors on one press.

The bumper looked like it has been painted, so it maybe just not refitted very well.

For piece of mind I would not buy one that has had the water ingress, you may be lucky and find it has been repaired very well, but it's just not worth the risk IMO, keep looking there are plenty around, it's not worth settling for second best.

Cheers Gizmo68. The tank was completely empty so maybe it was that then.

Anyway, I'm going to see if the dealer can give me any more info on the electrics tomorrow, although he sounded like he didn't really want to talk to me about a car he's already got rid of. I'll see what happens.

Cheers Gizmo68. The tank was completely empty so maybe it was that then.

Anyway, I'm going to see if the dealer can give me any more info on the electrics tomorrow, although he sounded like he didn't really want to talk to me about a car he's already got rid of. I'll see what happens.

It's just the tank pump coming to life, it doesn't do it if you have half a tank or more, think it's the lack of fuel and it gets chucked around the tank at the sametime, but when full the weight of the fuel stops it happening.

Thanks Supurbia :thumbup:

I see you now have a Passat. Do you know if the older Passats had the same problems as the Mark 1 Superb? If i can't find a decent Superb, I'll be looking at the equivalent Passat, but obviously it's more homework to do :S

Any pointers appreciated :yes:

Yes the Passat suffers from the same water ingress issues as the Superb ( hardly surprising as the MKI Superb is basically a stretched Passat)

Do a google search for "Passat water ingress, weird little biscuit" and all will be revealed about this problem.

Yes the Passat suffers from the same water ingress issues as the Superb ( hardly surprising as the MKI Superb is basically a stretched Passat)

Do a google search for "Passat water ingress, weird little biscuit" and all will be revealed about this problem.

Ah yes, I actually saw that linked from another post. Jesus! It seems like the best engine on these cars was combined with the worse possible design :o

And so the search goes on. Maybe I need to turn Japanese?

UPDATE---UPDATE---UPDATE

Just spoke to the dealer and he ran me through all the electrical work done:

1. Feb 2007: dashboard wiring replaced under warranty. £800 worth but didn't know what the original fault was.

2. 2008: wiring loom in the boot replaced due to parking sensor problems. Quite a common problem so I'm led to believe.

3. 2009: One door seal replaced. He didn't know which one as it didn't say on the computer.

And that's all the wiring/electrical problems they've done. No rear passenger footwell ingress problems reported.

I asked him about water ingress and he knew the problem and said his garage had had two Superbs with this problem, but the second owner didn't have the repair work done when he found out the cost to fix the first one :o

He seemed like a good bloke and was willing to go through the history carefully while I waited, and pick out all the electrical stuff that was done so top marks to him for that. He didn't have to.

He also mentioned new discs and pads last year, cv joints done, new tyres (tyres from a dealer?) and the total cost of repairs over the 6 years came to nearly £6k

Anyway, in light of this extra info, is this car still a dud?????

The Sup 1 is basically the same as a Passat 5.5 with a modded roof and rear doors, so all the issues are the same for both cars, to acid test this car you should check all electrics work as they should, engine idle should be smooth and level, engines aren't quiet by nature, if there is a kinda hole in the exhaust sound this is normally the air intake snorkel has lost it's tight fit, check for oil leaks around the egr valve, it's not a problem but they do leak after a while, inside check the rear door jambs, if they are heavily scratched it would suggest ex-cab, but at that mileage I would say it's just been a private car, steering wheel will lose it's sheen at the top if it's high miles, from the pictures which aren't a great way to judge a car btw, it looks like a nice example.

Go and lift off the plenum chamber cover and have a really good look round, ideally the bodywork down the side of the pollen filter will be debris free and relatively clean, you may still be able to see the one rubber grommet behind the servo if there is no grommet there then the pollen filter seal has probably been done?

Then push down as hard as you can on the carpets feeling for dampness.

You could also try asking for the previos owners details and give him a call.

Thanks again people. I'm leaning back towards it, although I have seen a couple of nice Passat Highlines, but I don't like the 15" wheels. It looks like a child's toy car in those :no:

I'll go back to the garage for a drive and another look. I hope he doesn't mind me taking the plenum chamber lid off. Also, does anyone know if my e-bay fault scanner for the Octy will work in the Superb? Be good to give it a quick check. I'll have a look on flea-bay and see.

If I buy this car and it turns out to be a good 'un, I owe you all a beer :thumbup:

If I buy it and it turns out to be a dud, I'll still owe you all a beer (or a lemo for any abstainers) :thumbup: :thumbup:

Pity you didnt buy my superb...its gone now, new engine years mot and drove like brand new...just have to spend my attentions on the greenline now, and keep that in good nick before it is handed back to motability in a cppl of years time.

Pity you didnt buy my superb...its gone now, new engine years mot and drove like brand new...just have to spend my attentions on the greenline now, and keep that in good nick before it is handed back to motability in a cppl of years time.

Was yours the Edition 100 that was on here? That was a lovely looking car :thumbup:

Edit: Just checked. It wasn't yours, but it was/is nice ;)

Edited by Jigger72

What did you get for it in the end?

did it go to a dealer?