Skoda Superb Estate 1.6 SE Greenline II ( advice please )

Macker

Hi folks,

I am due to be changing my lease car in july and so am looking at getting a superb. The problem I have is that the only version available is the 1.6 diesel Greenline II. The reason for this is the CO2 output. my company has to look green.

What I would really like to know is whats it like to drive basically in the UK. I have read the gents account from Scandinavia and it was very concise. However I am slightly concerned that the pick up on the engine may not be adequate joining the motorway. I could be completely wrong ( hopefully am) but my family will be in the car and..well you know how it is. I dont want to have to rev the bo!!ox out of it to get going. I am quite a sensible driver and not one for taking risks ( we have all seen mr big engine hoon it up the inside to get in front of the motorway traffic).

I would say I drive 50% motorways and 50% B roads and occasionally C roads. Whats the Superb like on the windy roads with the occasional hill. Would I have to be constantly changing gear if I want to maintain 40mph.?

And last but not least, parking and general driving about. I currently drive a Focus estate which I can whip around the place no bother. This evening I was reversing out of my parking place at Tescoes and just wondered how would the superb cope.( or more to the point how would I cope in the superb.)

I must apologise if I sound like a whinger but you guys know what your talking about and I am getting fed up reading all the write ups of the 170 BHP. I can drive one of my colleagues same engine ocatvia's and i am testing a 170 DSG Estate Superb, but not the two together, which is a bit rubbish and thats why I am asking yourselves, the very knowledgeable owners.

many many thanks in advance.

Macker.

I was in a similar situation to you recently.

I couldn't get a test drive in a Superb so had an Octavia Greenline from Skoda for a few days to test the engine.

It was very economical but god I found it slow. I imagine that the Superb being a much heavier car would be even worse so rule it out.

I've ended up ordering a 320 Efficient dynamics. Better fuel economy with 160bhp. It's smaller of course and if I could have had the 140bhp SE Superb, my decision would have been harder. However, the 1.6t in a 1.6T car is just too small.

Steve

I was in a similar situation to you recently.

I couldn't get a test drive in a Superb so had an Octavia Greenline from Skoda for a few days to test the engine.

It was very economical but god I found it slow. I imagine that the Superb being a much heavier car would be even worse so rule it out.

I've ended up ordering a 320 Efficient dynamics. Better fuel economy with 160bhp. It's smaller of course and if I could have had the 140bhp SE Superb, my decision would have been harder. However, the 1.6t in a 1.6T car is just too small.

Steve

Many thanks steve for getting back to me.

Thats a shame. I have been told by colleagues that the 1.6 greenline ii in the octavia is not too bad. Its a wonder why Skoda does not but the superb trim in the octavia. it woud make the decison so much easier.

cheers,

macker.

Well, these guys have actually driven a Greenline Superb:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/FirstDrives/Skoda-Superb-1.6TDI-CR-105-Eleg-GreenlineII/255473/

Slow-ish, true but the conclusion is:

"It feels a class above most of the cars you can get at this price in terms of size, and more importantly it doesn’t feel like you’re making any significant sacrifices for its frugal ways. It’s an excellent way to travel - the running costs are just a bonus."

bestest,

M.

Many thanks steve for getting back to me.

Thats a shame. I have been told by colleagues that the 1.6 greenline ii in the octavia is not too bad. Its a wonder why Skoda does not but the superb trim in the octavia. it woud make the decison so much easier.

cheers,

macker.

Macker - look at the list of cars in Steve vRS's signature - of course he will find it slow.

You will be comparing it with a Ford Focus not an Octavia VRS or other high performance cars.

I wanted to like the car, I really did. I had a 140bhp SE for a week last year and loved it. Unfortunately, it was then taken off our co. car list. I was chuffed when the Greenline II SE appeared on our list.

Bizarrely, the 320D ED was also on the list and was not a lot more expensive in BIK payments and I would use the power more than the space. If I'd have needed space more than power then I would be on the 6month wait list for a Superb.

Steve

I have the similarly powered 1.9 Greenline (105bhp), I can honestly say that it has enough power for todays motoring, yes it would be nice to have 170bhp on the odd occasion, but what you get instead is a very economical and smooth car. After 28,000 miles it is even better, more responsive and quick enough to overtake easily on the motorway fully laden. If you want high performance look elsewhere, if you want economy and comfort look no further!

Lads,

This is awsome. Thanks very much for all your "own" experiences. Its extremely helpful. A dealer did say to me that people are expecting possibly too much from this engine on this car. As steve said it was not enough for him, I just realised he has VRS in his name, ( I am not car enthusiast but I should have twigged). This is the reason why I asked the you lot for advice. VRS steve is used to more performance cars, ( I would embrass myself if i asked him what he thought of my ford focus 1.6 lx estate, I thinks its fast enough) each to their own though.

Rosteve, as you have the 105bhp engine, is your car an estate? I am just wondering as the superb is on a A6 chassis, whats it like to drive around say the city or tighter roads?

many thanks again for all your contributions. As previously mentioned I am not an enthusiast so please bear with me, ( I had to google 320 efficient dynamics)

cheers,

macker.

Macker: I believe that the Superb is actulally on an extended A5 chassis, but what do I know.. it's all rumors to me.

I drive a Greenline 1.9 PD Superb. Before that I had a Honda Civic IMA (hybrid civic)

The Superb is significantly more powerfull in it's driving, with lots more pull, and can happily tow a heavy load, but if you're used to more sporty cars you'll find any eco-model car to be under-powered.

I certainly wouldn't be quick to overtake on a single carraigeway road, unless there was a long, clear straight patch. Thats way better than the previous car where the Idea of overtaking on single carraige way was a non starter.

On the motorway it's fine, & I tend to drive everywhere just below the speeds that will set off cameras / attract attention from the fuzz. There's certainly no problem pulling out from a lay-by into a dual-carraigeway at rush-hour. - And that's what really matters when you do a lot of A-road driving like I do.

Sure I'd love the 170hp Elegance model, and as I'm getting a caravan I may look at the possiblity next car change, but untill then, the Greenline is a very comfortable car that beats it's competition hands down as far as I am concerned. You just wont beat it's level of internal room & driving comfort.

if you're used to more sporty cars you'll find any eco-model car to be under-powered.

Which is why I chose the 320 D ED. Lower BIK payments than the greenline and 160bhp. But, I could live with the smaller boot. I agree,if you need space, the Superb is a good choice.

Steve

Cheers For that ruari. Does the sheer size not prove problematic whilst driving about? I suppose its something you will get accustomed to very quickly.

Cheers macker

Whilst I feel my Superb is a better long distance cruiser than my previous Octavia, the Octavia is physically smaller and will be easier to manoeuvre/park than the Superb.

The 1.6 Tdi CR should be fine in either a Superb or Octy, especially if you drive it as you would a petrol ie. use more revs. If however, you want more performance, then it could be remapped to give a useful power/torque gain.

For a company car driver, the 1.6Tdi CR has a 13% BIK rating, great economy and is quieter than the older PD engines.

Edited by veloplus

Cheers For that ruari. Does the sheer size not prove problematic whilst driving about? I suppose its something you will get accustomed to very quickly.

Cheers macker

No, the size has never been a problem for me, though I did check it would fit on my driveway before I ordered it.

It manoeuvres beautifully, and can turn on a comparative dime - one of the reasons you see so many being used as Taxi's.

The only place where it's size becomes an issue is in multi-storey car-parks and some other car-parks, where the spaces can be a bit narrow, and sometimes the tracking space as you turn onto the ramps can be a bit tight - but you've just got to go slowly and use your mirrors to keep an eye on your clearances.

No, the size has never been a problem for me, though I did check it would fit on my driveway before I ordered it.

It manoeuvres beautifully, and can turn on a comparative dime - one of the reasons you see so many being used as Taxi's.

The only place where it's size becomes an issue is in multi-storey car-parks and some other car-parks, where the spaces can be a bit narrow, and sometimes the tracking space as you turn onto the ramps can be a bit tight - but you've just got to go slowly and use your mirrors to keep an eye on your clearances.

Thnk you so much for that An Ruari. Thats exactly what I was after. I really waanted to find out drivers first hand experience of real driving. I get the estate on mon as a two day test drive. i am about to write down places i need to go to make sure it fits.

many thanks.

macker.

• 2 weeks later...

Macker

I drive a 110bhp Passat, 07 plate, pretty much all motorway miles. A little lighter than the Superb I expect, but possibly a closer than your Focus weight-wise and BHP-wise. Hardly a sporty model, but good for 400+ miles per week, 80% of which are on the motorway. Given the amount of traffic / penalties for speeding / price of fuel; I am happy to leave 5 mins earlier for a 90 minute journey and cruise at 75mph... rather than save that 5 mins by trying to keep it at 90 for as much of the time as possible!

My point is, that 110 bhp has been fine - far from sporty, but still capable of overtaking on A roads when you need to etc. No issues around acceleration at all really - it's not like it's terribly slow. 0-60 in 12.5 is not fast, but hardly sluggish.

I expect that the 5 speed box on the greenline will also mean that top gear has a little more oomph than a sixth....

I'm planning ahead, looking to get a greenline II if / when they get a year or so old and come down in price a little.....