How do I find power for a 12S (grey) towing socket?

I previously wired up the normal black trailer lights socket, no problem on my 02 Octy VRS hatchback. I have now bought a caravan and am looking to wire up a 12S (grey socket) for the caravan battery, fridge etc. I understand that I can get an auto switching split charge relay which will make wiring easier, but need a 30 amp live feed. From studying some copies of some extracts from a Haynes Manual wiring diagram, I can see that fuse F35 is a 30A fuse for 12V socket / towbar. How do I connect to this? Is a wire available in the boot or do I need to run a wire through to the fuse box? (if so how do I get there from the boot). Where is the fuse box? (I have not had to find it yet). I am sure somebody must have done this already and will be able to help. Help please. Dave

Hi. I got a mobile tow bar fitter to do mine when I had a few quid. He took a live from the battery with a heavy fuse close to the terminal. This wire then ran under the car to the boot and then to an electronic box. Out of the other side of the box came all the wires for the socket! I suppose that is the cheating way to do it but I have not had any problems with it during the last 8 years.

I did mine myself - ran a heavy duty cable from the split charge relay in the boot along the same route as the loom under the nearside sill trims, behind the glove box and through a grommet next to the pollen filter.

Followed the main wiring through the plastc cable covers under the air filter box, fitted an in line fuse inside the little connector box on top the battery and connected to one of the terminals in this box.

Everything needed came in a kit which I think I got from Ebay, can't remember now.

Oh and the fuse box is on the far right hand side on the end of the dash when you open the door but far easier to route direct to the battery :thumbup:

Edited by alexandjen

through a grommet next to the pollen filter.

Make sure you seal this hole well, or some rain/water you will come through and you will end up with a swimming pool in the rear passenger footwell, and then in the front footwell (sloping floor plan)

I know - from experience :o

Edited by mbames

Make sure you seal this hole well, or some rain/water you will end up with a swimming pool in the rear passenger footwell, and then in the front footwell (sloping floor plan)

I know - from experience :o

It was you that gave me the location and idea/photos of the grommet by the pollen filter (thanks again) and yes it has loads of silicone in it :thumbup:

Edited by alexandjen

It was you that gave me the location and idea/photos of the grommet by the pollen filter (thanks again) and yes it has loads of silicone in it :thumbup:

Hope my suggestion does not come back to haunt me :doh: I sealed mine when I had my radar detector installed, but I think the grommet popped out and it leaked. However I broke the detector in a flood of water, and then someone stole it, so I sealed the hole up nicely :yes:

easiest to run a heavy duty wire from the battery with an inline fuse close to the battery, I usually run the wire underneath clipped to the brake lines then up under the seats thru the grommet there into the rear for the split relay.