2.5 tdi fuel pump problem?

my 05 2.5tdi 60k miles was running like a sewing machine, one morning went to start engine, just turned and turned. Called RAC, no faults on their computer evident, guy thought lift pump in tank might not be delivering enough fuel. Recovered to local garage, they got it to go, very rough, loads of air in fuel had to bleed system right through to injectors. Various faults on their computer, fuel pressure, air in fuel etc, running very smokey, engine management light on however when warmed up and out on road engine responded well all lights cleared, however when idling was very rough, then stopped, found fuel pump in tank not delivering, replaced it, engine started and ran like a dream and car drove well, next thing all happened again, engine management lights etc. all on. Engine is rough to start again however runs well when warm but starts to go rough again at about 2500rpm. Mechanic is exceptionally talented but is puzzled by this. Has suggested diagnostics in dealer but wants to investigate further beforehand. Not sure if main injection pump is problem because of on road performance when warm. Any ideas out there in Skodaland??

Rotodiesel is the man you need possible answers from...he should be along fairly soon. Have you checked the fuel filter? or replaced it? Hope you get it sorted :thumbup:

Rotodiesel is the man you need possible answers from...he should be along fairly soon. Have you checked the fuel filter? or replaced it? Hope you get it sorted :thumbup:

yes fuel filter replaced and pump in tank

I have seen previous threads about the v6 tdi and the fuel pumps, of which one brand is good and one is ok but problematic...roto, when he appears, should be able to give you the correct diagnosis and have his usual blast on certain superbs. :giggle:

Getting fault code 00550 on one diagnostic computer but nothing on another?? any ideas? car still having trouble starting and running rough. This all just happened suddenly, car was running perfect up to this!

What about fuel quality? or pump timing? Are the cylinder heads ok? other than that it has to be an electical issue, but very fustrating none the less...hope you get it sorted.

Took to dealer, no fault came up!! but car still same, dealer mechanic now thinks it's the engine control module but needs to confirm before changing. Hope we're getting somewhere now. I think that the 2.5 being the less common of the superbs is harder to diagnose problems on because the mechanics dont get enough exposure to them in their normal duties.

Surely, a faulty ECM will give fault codes?

Yes I agree that's why I want guarantee that if I authorise replacement then I wont be paying for any other problems. I would expect a dealer to have enough technical back up from Skoda UK to be able to determine whats wrong completely!

Yes I agree that's why I want guarantee that if I authorise replacement then I wont be paying for any other problems. I would expect a dealer to have enough technical back up from Skoda UK to be able to determine whats wrong completely!

Might be an idea to have a look at this thread here. Had the same fault code?

Edit .... have had a good read through now and it looks remarkably similar to your problem. Fuel pump timing issue it would appear? Seem to recall a thread on here showing how you set it up using Vagcom to check it?

Edited by CRC

Another useful link I found was the Wiki Ross Tech site showing the meaning of the error codes and the possible solutions.

Wiki Ross Tech

The 005500 fault code can be accessed from the page above and shows this

How did we ever get by without the internet?

If there is air in fuel then you have a damaged pipe from tank to engine or, as I have once read, the design might be (if it is anywhere like on the audi A6!!) that it has multiple pickup points from various "sections" of the fuel tank (sectioned tank to stop fuel sloshing about) and then these pipes all come together like an octopus or something like that in the tank itself; I think the official/unofficial name is actually "octopus". When one of them become loose or cracks, it is letting air into the system. Very difficult to diagnose otherwise and can drive the owner and mechanics insane! I have a 2.5 tdi also and when that was getting a bit of air into the system due to damaged o-ring on the fuel filter body (damaged during fitting), the car didn't like it at all! |good luck

I'd have hoped a VAG dealer would be honest enough to fit a new one and if it didn't cure it, then he would refit the old one again FOC, but I suppose the modern world doesn't work like that any more.

• 1 month later...

Eventually got it sorted, ECU was problem, replaced it and car now back running sweetly! A little bit expensive though from start to finish all parts and labour local garage and then main dealer £1600 incl VAT

I have seen previous threads about the v6 tdi and the fuel pumps, of which one brand is good and one is ok but problematic...roto, when he appears, should be able to give you the correct diagnosis and have his usual blast on certain superbs. :giggle:

Now now, he's a bleedin legend imo, there isn't much he doesn't know and there's plenty he can teach a VAG mechanic that he doesn't know B)