MOT Fail due dashboard light

Hi,

My 2004 VRS just failed its MOT as the dash tell-tale light for the rear fog lights is not working.

I'm just after a few clues as to what it could be (other than a new dash required!).

All the external lights work fine and the tell-tale for the front light works.

The glow plug light hasn't worked for a while. It did work after a skoda dealer service reset it (no faults found) but its stopped again now. Also the drivers door central locking sometimes doesn't work.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks.

The lights on the dash panel are surface mounted LEDS, they can be replaced but it's not an easy (or Skoda approved) job. Definately worth taking the dash panel out (2 screws) and check the wiring connectors. Simple job, drop steering wheel to lowest setting, and pull out to full rake. Prise off plastic cover between top of steering column and dash. This reveals two screws. Remove them, and dash panel slides forward. Disconnect battery before starting the job.

Drivers door central locking is a bit more complex. The comfort control unit does some of the work, but there is also a unit inside the drivers door. The latter, is prone to dry solder joints on the connectors. Also worth checking the large multi-plug on the door slam A pillar (covered with large black rubber sleeve.)

Also, can anyone tell me the colour of the tell tale light for the rear fogs?

Despite failing the MOT today I'm not sure it's ever worked in the 4 years I've owned the car!

The front fog light tell tale on mine is a light green.

Thanks for your replies.

If it's the LED's any idea where I would get replacements?

Maplin will probably have surface mount LEDS in various colours. Need to take the dash panel out first to find what type of LEDs are used though. Be advised, the work requires a precision heat controllable soldering station, desolder mop, and a very steady hand. IIRC a new dash insert is about £180 but also needs coding at dealers, for mileage and immobilizer function.

Just to be sure, are there two tell tale lights (one for front fog head-lamps and one for rear red ones)?

My manual shows two but there is an asterix on the diagram as if one may be optional.

Thanks again.

Just to be sure, are there two tell tale lights (one for front fog head-lamps and one for rear red ones)?

My manual shows two but there is an asterix on the diagram as if one may be optional.

Thanks again.

Definitely two on the VRS. The option in the manual, is for cars with no front fogs. The rear fog is compulsory in any case.

Just had a brain storm. You could tap into the rear foglight wiring, and mount a tel-tale light labeled Rear Fog in one of the blank center console switch blanking plates. Would cost about 10p if done with a red LED.

As far as I'm aware the only people actually REPAIRING clusters are Cluster Repairs in Great Yarmouth, but I think Shark_90 has a contact who can also work on them, if indeed he can't do it himself.

http://clusterrepairsuk.co.uk/

Quite reasonably priced as well, but your car will be dead as a dodo for the 72 hours you've got it out and sent away. They do do a turn-up and wait service by appointment though. But you'd be in Great Yarmouth all day, so I wouldn't advise it :rofl:

korban is a member on here, he would be the guy to speak to for the leds etc and how to do it if you decide, he has changed all of his :thumbup:

drop him a PM, very helpful guy :thumbup:

jordan

Thanks for all your help guys.

I checked all the LEDs with a multimeter and it appeared the full beam (blue) tell tale wasn't working now either. So, I put it back in the car but it worked fine. Weird.

I've sent the dash off to clusterrepairsuk to get it tested.

I'll let you know how it goes. If it doesn't work I like your idea MoggyTech!

Thanks again.

Just had a brain storm. You could tap into the rear foglight wiring, and mount a tel-tale light labeled Rear Fog in one of the blank center console switch blanking plates. Would cost about 10p if done with a red LED.

Yep if it comes to paying someone to solder a new LED or replacing the entire dash panel, I think this is the way forward. Or even something like this http://www.maxparts.biz/lighting/front-a-fog-lamps.html?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=1267&category_id=22&vmcchk=1 or http://www.maxparts.biz/lighting/front-a-fog-lamps.html?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=1228&category_id=22 so MOT man can't complain you couldn't tell what the light refers to. Cannot vouch for the site, just got it through google. Only thing that will need some creativity is you will need to find a ground to connect to.

Edited by anewman