Trust me - its easy!

Hi guys.

Please dont take me for being big headed, i just want to pass this on...

For those of us that have got the dreaded water ingress from the rear doors leaking, then can i suggest that instead of paying Skoda or whoever to fix it, then DONT! Just do it yourself! i did mine over the weekend and i really cant believe how easy it is!

once i sealed the doors, i then washed the car and i left the hose running over the roof and the rear doors and normally there would be a pool of water collecting but there wasnt! I've been putting this fix off over the winter and i really regret doing so cause i cant imagine how much water has got in with all the rain we've had! if i'd have known how easy it is to do then i'd have done it ages ago!

takes max 10 mins to remove door card, then i used the Skoda sealant which i took around 20 mins over to make sure it was a good thick seal on covering all nooks and crannies!

i left the door card off till the next day just to make sure that it was still bone dry (which it was) and also so the sealant could set then it took 5 mins max to put it back on (using fresh new clips bought from Skoda as i'd damaged a few of the others, but replaced all of them anyway) and hey presto - all done!

so please, if i can advise anything, let it be this - DO THE FIX YOURSELF - ITS EASY!!

i hope i've inspired some of you...

Wagdog.

PS if you need help with it and you live near Leeds, then i dont mind showing people how!!??

Problem seems to be Skoda dealers slap the sealant on and make no attempt to smooth it off, which is the most important part of the job.

i will never know - thankfully!!

just make sure its done right, then its great peace of mind!

i keep opening the doors when its been raining to see if they are still water tight and i smile every time!!

My LHS rear door currently owns a "curtain" made from a Sainsburys bag and three-four clothes pegs. :)

I really should GOMFA and sort it out. It's one of those manana things at the moment, though.

J.

There's been a guide on fabia-vrs.com for yonks FWIW.

@ Wagdog: If water DOESN'T come out of the bottom of the doors after it rains, you've got a problem with the drain holes. Sealing the doors should make the water run out over the sill and onto the ground, not past the door card and onto the carpet. If NOTHING comes out when it rains, your door is full of water! ;)

There's been a guide on fabia-vrs.com for yonks FWIW.

@ Wagdog: If water DOESN'T come out of the bottom of the doors after it rains, you've got a problem with the drain holes. Sealing the doors should make the water run out over the sill and onto the ground, not past the door card and onto the carpet. If NOTHING comes out when it rains, your door is full of water! ;)

i know mate. it drains out of the bottom, just like it should!!

106_0048.jpg

Skoda have revised the design of the door clips for the Mk2's - see the new ones on the right. It is supposed to be less brittle and has an integrated rubber seal.

Hopefully they have also fixed the carrier seal ! :)

they are the new clips i got from Skoda. bought 12 in total so i always have spares.dunno why, i should have been confident that i'd fix it 1st time!!

I couldn't agree more, the fix really is easy. The only part of the fix that I had initial trouble with was removing the door card, but once I found out where the door clips were situated and a suitable tool to work them out it was a doddle. :thumbup: