First bump

hmibennett

Last night, when going outside to put rubbish in the bin, I noticed that someone has scraped my front offside corner - I think it must have been when I was out earlier in the evening visiting our local travelling fish and chip van (we have strange ways in the country!), where quite a few cars congregate in a tight parking area around a small village green (and in the dark). An area of paint about the size of a 2p piece has been chipped off the side of the plastic panel below the wing (park assist sensor fortunately appears undamaged) and there are some minor scratches and slight indentations on the leading edge of the wheelarch itself. Fortunately again it appears that the wheel and tyre are untouched.

I have sourced some touch-up paint and while waiting for it to arrive will have to decide whether it will be necessary - or feasible, or costworthy - to have the slight denting taken out, or whether just to repaint and polish.

I know a car is only an object, but it really annoys me that after just 9 days of ownership, it has already been damaged!

Bu99er emoticon-0106-crying.gif

I'm afraid that would bug the hell out of me - I'd be off to the bodyshop I think for a professional assessment before tacking it myself.

Careful not to do anything that could compromise the paintwork warranty?

I got my touch up from here as Skoda don't appear to do Muscovado (1M1M) in touch up sticks

Bu99er emoticon-0106-crying.gif

I'm afraid that would bug the hell out of me - I'd be off to the bodyshop I think for a professional assessment before tacking it myself.

Careful not to do anything that could compromise the paintwork warranty?

I got my touch up from here as Skoda don't appear to do Muscovado (1M1M) in touch up sticks

Yes, that's the same source I tracked down for the brown paint. We have a mobile car servicing bloke out here who lives in the next village - he doesn't do bodywork as far as I know, but he'll probably be able to give me an assessment of what it needs and who might do it (reasonably) locally. It's a particular pain now because we're away from first thing tomorrow until Sunday evening, then I'm working away from home next week from Monday afternoon until late Wednesday, and next Friday we're off for a three and a half week trip to France - so it looks as though any remedial work will have to wait until we're back from Europe. I suppose the only upside of that is that if it picks up any more damage on that long trip, it can all be sorted out at the same time!

NINE DAYS !!!! GRRRRR I would be .........Don't try it DIY, not for a paint loss as big as 2 pence piece,you will not be happy with the result, try chips away and or the mobile dent men what ever they call themselves, will be cheaper than dealer appointed body shop, think twice about contacting your ins co, as just the mention of a not your fault incident CAN be logged against you ! and may affect future premiums ! (how do they get away with stuff like that )

NINE DAYS !!!! GRRRRR I would be .........Don't try it DIY, not for a paint loss as big as 2 pence piece,you will not be happy with the result, try chips away and or the mobile dent men what ever they call themselves, will be cheaper than dealer appointed body shop, think twice about contacting your ins co, as just the mention of a not your fault incident CAN be logged against you ! and may affect future premiums ! (how do they get away with stuff like that )

Thanks for this, Rob - I have done a Google search and have logged my details with Chips Away (they're over near Middlesbrough - everything's a long way from here!) and they should be in touch within 24 hours.

I'd wait until you get back until you repair it. Have you seen the way the French park? :doh:

Yes indeed! Fortunately we have a garage with our flat, so at least I don't have to leave the car out at night. While I am frequently full of admiration at the tiny gaps into which the French can fit their cars, I'm well aware of the 'bouncing off the cars fore and aft' approach which often enables it.

Well, as I feared, none of the national big boys can be bothered to trail out into the sticks to do what for them is a small repair job - one downright refusal and two who haven't bothered to get back to me. There is apparently a local place that may do it - I'll have to case them first as I don't want a bodged job. Doubt whether I'll be able to get it done before going to France in a week's time - but perhaps that's good, as Bobdog pointed out!

Well, as I feared, none of the national big boys can be bothered to trail out into the sticks to do what for them is a small repair job - one downright refusal and two who haven't bothered to get back to me. There is apparently a local place that may do it - I'll have to case them first as I don't want a bodged job. Doubt whether I'll be able to get it done before going to France in a week's time - but perhaps that's good, as Bobdog pointed out!

Hi Andrew. You are in the middle of God's own country, aren't you! (I've spent many a wonderful holiday in the Kettlewell area).

I had a similar 'minor damage' issue with Hetti only a few months into our relationship :'( : a 'Tesco kiss' (actually in the office car park) to the rear bumper, off-side corner. No paintwork damaged but I noticed a slight mis-alinement of the panels just above the bumper (a 5 mm gap), and then realised the rear off-side wheel arch was creased a bit. Apparently the 'shock wave' of the impact had travelled across the rear quarter panel from the bumper and done the damage. On closer inspection the lining of the wheel arch underneath was creased as well! :@

I was going to my dealer for something and just asked them to look. 3 days and £150 ins. excess later :( (I've no idea of the full cost) Hetti was better again! :happy:

I know how you feel :sick: !! Have a good trip to France and next time I'm your way I'll try to look you up.

Trev

Edited by TJK

Yes, that's the same source I tracked down for the brown paint. We have a mobile car servicing bloke out here who lives in the next village - he doesn't do bodywork as far as I know, but he'll probably be able to give me an assessment of what it needs and who might do it (reasonably) locally. It's a particular pain now because we're away from first thing tomorrow until Sunday evening, then I'm working away from home next week from Monday afternoon until late Wednesday, and next Friday we're off for a three and a half week trip to France - so it looks as though any remedial work will have to wait until we're back from Europe. I suppose the only upside of that is that if it picks up any more damage on that long trip, it can all be sorted out at the same time!

Merlinman - my touch-up paint arrived today from Car Paint Repair but despite being coded 1M1M Muscavado on the container, it actually looks more like Rosso Brunello! I have contacted the company - did they manage to supply you with Muscavado that was the correct colour?