Fabia 1.4 16V EGR problems

For a while the EML has been coming on and going off for a while. Every time its on it throws up:

P0401

Exhaust Gas Recirc.Flow Insufficient Detected

It sees to clear if i do motorway runs but pops back up when i do short distance town runs and just before it happens the revs jump from about 850 - 1000 while at junctions etc.

I have had a look through the threads but have come a bit stuck. I tried removing the EGR, got the two 13mm nuts of but can not remove the bit infront of the EGR with the metal pipe that bends down and back towards the depths of the engine.

Am i missing something? - Any help appreciated! :yes:

Take off the throttle body, under that is where the EGR pipe comes up. The end will be blocked with carbon causing the insufficient flow problem. Poke the carbon out with a small screwdriver and refit, clear codes sorted. If you leave the throttle body plugged in you shouldn't need to reset it.

I have the same model Fabia as you and I've removed my EGR valve twice now to clean it out. You need to unfasten the shiny metal pipe that goes between the inlet manifold and the EGR valve. No need to take it right off, just get it loose so that you can pull it off the EGR valve. It is a bit of a tight fit and you'll have to waggle and twist it about. It is also held by a clip about half way along. Once you have the pipe undone you can remove the EGR valve.

Use carb cleaner to spray it out inside, and wipe off the carbon. A good supply of cotton buds is handy for this. You will find that there is a rod inside that moves to and fro and seals into the body of the valve. Move it out of the way and spray carb cleaner into the aperture where the rod goes, and keep working the rod to and fro.

Check the metal tube itself for blockages. Some people find them gunged up inside. Mine was clear.

Replacing the tube is a bit fiddly due to limited access but it will go back - just take your time.

You will need to clear the fault code to stop the warning light showing. I used a cheap hand held code reader off eBay.

Note - the first time I cleaned the EGR valve I only removed the obvious carbon from inside the body but didn't do anything with where the internal rod goes. The fault came back after a couple of months. The second time I cleaned the rod area mentioned above and the problem has not come back after 4 months so far.

Good luck.

Edited by bettysan

Tech1e - Cleaned the little hole you mentioned and cleared the fault but it came straight back on.

Bettysan - Thanks for that, will have a crack at it tomorrow. To get the pipe of near the inlet manifold, is it just a case of getting a grip and it and pulling it down a bit? I've has a quick look while the throttle body was off but its hard to see. :peek:

If yours is anything like mine (I'm assuming it is, since you've got a 16v 1.4) there will be two fasteners on a flange, attaching the pipe to the inlet manifold. The pipe continues beyond the flange and sticks into the inlet manifold for maybe half an inch. Just pull it out. Hard to describe, but you'll probably then have to roll it over a bit to get clearance to get the EGR valve unit off.

I should add that you don't need to remove the aluminium casting that joins the EGR valve body to the exhaust manifold. You can leave that alone. Once the shiny pipe is off the EGR valve will just pull away.