Looking for a camera

Hi all I've got my first baby and have a really ok compact camera always giving blurred images and not very good quality, so what type of camera should I go for I've been told I don't really need a dslr (I've only just found what that is) I do want to start taking more photos and playing with Photoshop so I'm not after a cheapy camera but I'm no professional and don't aspire to become one, going in the navy soon so would be good to be able to take pics of the different places i go to. I'm looking at spending 200 but will spend more if I have to, sorry for the essay but this is the first camera I've ever brought!

I've recently bought a Samsung WB600 from Amazon, £130, with 15x zoom and plenty of options so that it sits between your basic point and shoot compact and DSLR. It is only a little bit bigger and heavier than a normal compact but gives you so much more control over what you're doing with it and the 15X zoom is excellent after my 4x on my previous Canon Ixus. Highly recommended, the picture quality is excellent and at that price worth every penny.

Steve

Hi all I've got my first baby and have a really ok compact camera always giving blurred images and not very good quality, so what type of camera should I go for I've been told I don't really need a dslr (I've only just found what that is) I do want to start taking more photos and playing with Photoshop so I'm not after a cheapy camera but I'm no professional and don't aspire to become one, going in the navy soon so would be good to be able to take pics of the different places i go to. I'm looking at spending 200 but will spend more if I have to, sorry for the essay but this is the first camera I've ever brought!

Pick up a used Nikon D40 with an 18-55mm lens and a Nikon SB400 flash. It's all you'll need. Sure, it's a DSLR, but it's very small and very light. Get your self a little bag and you have a go anywhere kit. If you want to add another lens later on grab a 55-200mm and you really are all set.

Example (not my sale):

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nikon-D40-6-1-Megapixel-Digital-Camera-18-55mm-/280643198164?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_DigitalCameras_DigitalCameras_JN&hash=item4157a35cd4

Review:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d40.htm

We bought the in-laws a Nikon P7000 just after Christmas. - Personally, I'm a Nikon Fan & a Full-time pro.

But, then again, the Canon G12 is also a very good option, and allows similar control to the Nikon.

They are both compact cameras, but have full manual control and a nice sized sensor and lens. Also feels nice to hold! - Image quality should be on-par with low-end dSLR's, but in a much more compact form.

Al.

Have just bought the newly released Canon IXUS 115 HS to replace a FujiFilm FinePix F11. It is within your budget and is a very capable compact camera with loads of features.