Checking the oil on 1.8TSI

Anybody else noticed how sensitive the oil level is on a 1.8TSI to checking on a gradient?

I live on a hill with a sloping drive so checking the oil is an art! On all my prevoius cars I have been able to mentally calibrate the dipstick so that I know roughly where it should be when checking it on the drive to be in the correct zone on the flat. I always checked the level on the flat occasionally just to be sure.

With the 1.8TSI the oil level is all but off the dipstick when it is pointing down my drive. Even when I check it on the level I notice that the oil line is at a 45 degree angle across the dipstick because of the way it is routed into the back of the sump from the front of the engine.

Another oddity I have been meaning to ask about! The oil filter is on the top of the engine. 10 out of 10 for ease of access but how on earth do you take it off without the oil pouring out over the engine? That is the oil filter at the front left hand corner of the plastic engine cover isn't it?

The filter has a check valve. It doesn't defecate all over the engine.

Haven't noticed the dipstick issue as i have a flat garage & only check the oil every 5,000km (if that) as it doesn't use oil.

The filter has a check valve. It doesn't defecate all over the engine.

Haven't noticed the dipstick issue as i have a flat garage & only check the oil every 5,000km (if that) as it doesn't use oil.

Mine hasn't used much either. Just past 5500 miles from new and had its first drink of half a litre.

Mine hasn't used much either. Just past 5500 miles from new and had its first drink of half a litre.

Ditto - almost nothing added between annual services, though admittedly on low mileages per year.

Another oddity I have been meaning to ask about! The oil filter is on the top of the engine. 10 out of 10 for ease of access but how on earth do you take it off without the oil pouring out over the engine?

When i did the oil and filter on my last car, it didn't spill anything. Although to be safe i undid it a few turns and left it for 5 mins to drain before removing it fully.

Only awkward bit is it's proximity to other stuff, means a 3 legged filter clamp wont work :thumbdown: