Xenons no longer corner.

bilun777

Harvey has lost his cornering headlight function recently.They do the xenon dance on start-up with the light switch in auto.

I've also tried resetting anything I can find in the Maxidot,but all that has achieved is the doors locking automatically when I drive off.(which I didn't really want).

Is it a case of visiting a dealer,or perhaps "RTFM". :smirk:

Harvey has lost his cornering headlight function recently.They do the xenon dance on start-up with the light switch in auto.

I've also tried resetting anything I can find in the Maxidot,but all that has achieved is the doors locking automatically when I drive off.(which I didn't really want).

Perhaps you have enabled tourist mode via maxidot, this will stop the cornering function for use abroad

Hi bilun77777777

I had this hassle with my Elegance 170 where I thought that the bendy lights were either bending so imperceptibly that I couldn't see it, or else they were NOT bending at all.

I asked this forum, and as usual they gave me the answer. I went back into the beastly maxidot dooflick while at rest, with the ignition on, and explored every option under setup. I think that there is one called "lights" under which there is a sub-heading called either "bending" or "cornering".

I flicked it on, and drove a bit. Then I flicked it off and drove a bit. And then I made sure it was ticked to be on - and drove a bit more.

I now drive everywhere with headlights that illuminate my progress perfectly, enabling me to pick out pesky welsh farm collies glaring at me from under hedges and barn doors, ready to belt out and bite the car's backside before belting back beneath the boughs again. The also hide in hedges - and the bendy xenons can be seen reflecting from their baleful brown eyes.

There - in a customary long-winded rural way, you have my answer - go flick a switch a few times .

Cheers

I think I've fixed it. I unticked the tourist box or whatever it's called ,it "seems" to corner O.K. now.(even tried reading the manual.....clear as mud ) :dull:

Tourist mode is only for when you are on the Continent. It "flattens" the light spread and stops the cornering function to spare them lot's eyes from the glare. Have you however EVER in your life seen a French/foreign car in the UK with deflectors on their lights?! I fear I'll feint on the spot the first time I see such a level of courtesy from them on our Isle... But then our Police just do paperwork and don't spend their whole day only trying to catch foreign registered cars like their lot does to us. :no:

Johann, I had never thought of that before but now you mention it I have never seen a foreign car with diversion stickers on the headlights when in the UK. When you think of all the fuss that is made about painting your lenses yellow (I am showing my age there), putting stickers on etc, and Europeans just ignore it the other way.

I'd be interested to know how people verify that their xenons are actually cornering. I experimented last night on the way home ticking and unticking the "Cornerning Lights" box under "Convenience" and I'm not sure I could see any difference (and yes, I did make sure that travel mode was switched off). How obvious is it supposed to be?

I suppose what I'd like to understand is how much deflection of the beam should I expect to see for a given amount of steering input. Are the lights supposed to turn the same amount as the front wheels do? Does speed make a difference eg less deflection at higher speed?

Edited by ejstubbs

It only does it at higher speeds, and it is so good you don't realise that it is actually doing it till you drive another car that doesnt, and realise you are no longer seeing around the fast sweeping bends. At lower speeds the fogs come on to light around the corners, and that is very obvious if you can see a refection of the front of your car, and turn the wheel from side to side to make tham go on and off.

I'd be interested to know how people verify that their xenons are actually cornering. I experimented last night on the way home How obvious is it supposed to be?

You won't notice it in a lit up area. I did not. But down a very dark country lane I did! You won't miss it. They go left and right by about 3 to 5 degrees. So not as much as the wheels turn! Quite subtle in fact but noticeable.

It only does it at higher speeds

10kmph according to the owner's manual - that's about 6mph. Hardly high speed!

At lower speeds the fogs come on to light around the corners

Up to 40kmph according to the owners manual, so between 6mph and 25mph both functions operate. I find the fogs' corner function is pretty noticeable when pulling out of a space in a dimly-lit car park.

They go left and right by about 3 to 5 degrees. So not as much as the wheels turn! Quite subtle in fact but noticeable.

If it's only that much then that would probably explain why I thought I could detect a difference, even though for the life of me I couldn't actually see the beams moving.

The way that I verified that mine were working was to choose a deserted stretch of road and then turn a corner sharply, as if avoiding a collie, then you will see them swivel about a nano-second after. And again when you have to straighten up.