Just noticed tiny rust spots on kick plates

Hi folks,

Well I washed the car today and did my usual routine, snow foam, rinse, handwash, rinse, hand-dry.

When I started hand drying the car around the drivers door area I noticed tiny spots of rust on the metal vRS kickplates. :thumbdown:

I became concerned as the car is only 5 months old. :doh:

The spots were buffed away with a little elbow grease and firm rubbing, but surely they should'nt be there.

Passenger side was ok. :thumbup:

I think its something to keep an eye on. :wonder:

If it deteriorates over time then I think this could be my first warranty claim going in.

Anyone else had this issue? :dull:

I've noticed something similar on my white (non Skoda) car.

During the winter months after washing the car small 'rust spots' remain on the paint work, especially if I leave it quite a while between washes ( :giggle: ). But then after a while I noticed some on the plastic bumpers!

Closer inspection revealed that it wasn't the car that was rusting it was whatever was stuck to the car.

I was thinking there was something on the road I had driven over but it happens regularly, so I just assume it's part of the road surface? Or something in the grit/salt that is spread on the roads?

:no:

I'm the same as Silver, i nearly died when i saw rust spots on the insides of my wheels a few months ago, tar & glue remover with no buffing made them disappear.

Must have been brake dust or salt or both. Finish of the lacquer hasn't been damaged as best i can tell.

Certainly if you leave anything iron based that will rust on a piece of stainless then it will also rust. I guess if you stand in concentrated salt solution, on a wet salted road for example and then get in your car then that provides half the necessary conditions.

I think it's a tar from road which dissolves and looks like rust spots. I had similar shock about rust on car after winter, but then I noticed thous spots on painted plastic parts too. :) Tar remover helped to get rid of that "rust".

About 10 years ago I was working on a site where the buildings next door where being extended. As the steel frame was being constructed there was a lot of use of angle grinders. Even though this was a fair distance away from the cars, we noticed a build up of the tiny steel particles on lots of cars paintwork. They had actually stuck to the paintwork and gave it a rough feel! These then started to rust. Thankfully they rusted away over about 6 months and the paintwork was fine after.

Might just be some industrial fallout on your parts ?

I've seen little spots of rust / discoloration before on those VRS kick plates before. I don't think it's anything to worry about and as you've seen, they come straight off. I think I noticed them on my car when it was about a year old but haven't had it happen since then?

Anyway, for the people talking aobut more general metal contamination causing rust spots over your paintwork, you need the utter wonder that is

Iron-X

:)

In the states it's called "" rail dust" tiny ferrous particles that stick to the paint and then oxidise yes it is a heart stopper but a clay bar detail will remove 99% and give you s super smooth paint finish.

In the states it's called "" rail dust" tiny ferrous particles that stick to the paint and then oxidise yes it is a heart stopper but a clay bar detail will remove 99% and give you s super smooth paint finish.

I would never just clay this kind of contamination off. Iron-X first then optionally clay. Otherwise you're breaking the fragments off, leaving some in the paint and the bits that do come off in the clay, you're moving back and forth over your paintwork.