Skodas don't look as good as Audi's?

willis1337

Looks are subjective. If I wanted a "mass market" car that looked good, I would not buy from VAG. I would choose a present model Ford Mondeo or Vauxhall Consignia (or whatever it's called). If I really wanted "prestige", I would buy a BMW, Jaguar or Mercedes, rather than something which is often perceived (whether their owners can admit it or not) as a tarted-up VW. If I wanted handling, I would not buy any current VAG car, other than possibly a Seat. If I wanted VFM, I'd consider buying Korean...

When you can show me an Audi driver who has had the make and model badges rather than just the engine and/or trim level badges removed, you might be able to make a point about badge snobbery.

I have had the model removed thank you (well I order it without model or engine size). Unfortunately the Make would leave a hole on the bonnet and I don't have a replacement. But it is obvious that your comment shows that the only person who perceives the badge as being 'prestige' (for want of a better word) is you. Otherwise why would I have to remove it to show I am not a badge snob. I attribute no significance to the badge, although it appears you do. Very interesting. As for the handling etc, what has that to do with this thread? I have given up answering that question in this thread as it is not important. As it turns out I didn't buy my car for it's looks, it is just a nice frringe benifit that it is a smart looking car and has easily the best interior in the VAG range (looks wise of course :D ).

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats your opinion, Could you tell me the actual stats you're are basing it on and your source ?

Also the only models in the current Audi line up that share any form of platform with VW is the A1 (polo) and the A3 (golf). Nothing else.

I just don't get where these peeps are coming from? I will accept that the BMW is probably the best handling car in it's class, but it would appear that the Audi isn't in that class according to some posts.Besides the number of posts on here saying the BMW is a dog to look at means that as for it's relevance in this thread, it has none. There are many post on Briskly slagging the handling too :D

I think it is fair to say that of all the VAG cars I have owned the Audi is the best handler by a margin.

I spent an hour last night watching youtube reviews and it was unanimously that the reviews loved the interiors and most heaped praise on the exterior looks too.

When you can show me an Audi driver who has had the make and model badges rather than just the engine and/or trim level badges removed, you might be able to make a point about badge snobbery.

My Audi had no rear badges, and only had a front badge because the badgeless grills looked stupid. Pretty much every car i've had has only had front badges. The skoda is the rare exception, because of the indent and 2 small holes, meaning i couldn't remove the rear badge.

Badge snobbery is everywhere. I think i experienced more with my BMW, and associated stigma, than Audi/Skoda/Seat/Ford/Peugeot/Rover. Didnt stop me buying two, and i'd happily buy another.

Oh and Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Just so happens the majority find Audis attractive compared to Skodas.

We don't realise this but we have been brainwashed over decades to THINK an Audi (et al) looks better. It does not. It has lights, wheels, rubbing strips and wipers just like any other car. But the marketing and hype these marketing people create has created this awe insides us and a warm feeling when we think of the Dulux paint dog, or the tissue paper Labrador puppy, or that a VW is better than a Vauxhall. We can't help it.

To prove this: in China the Chinese buyers were very upset when the SUV maker called Porsche started selling sports cars there. Yes you read that right. Porsche launched the Cayenne there first and with the Chinese having NO brand prejudice at all, they just go with the flow. So when the 911 came along with an SUV nose grafted on the front you can imagine how upset they were!

So an Audi is not better looking than a Škoda. Your brain is just programmed to think so and you can't help it one bit.

So an Audi is not better looking than a Å koda. Your brain is just programmed to think so and you can't help it one bit.

I beg to differ. I find the mk1 Octy vRS Combi only just slightly less better looking (and I mean 0.000001% kind of slightly) an Sline B7 A4 Avant. Please tell me the neuro-programming comes in please ?

By the way, I'm an individual and would never follow the sheeple crowd. I like what I like because I like it.... not because I'm a badge snob, fashion following, air head, sheeple.

I beg to differ. I find the mk1 Octy vRS Combi only just slightly less better looking (and I mean 0.000001% kind of slightly) an Sline B7 A4 Avant. Please tell me the neuro-programming comes in please ?

By the way, I'm an individual and would never follow the sheeple crowd. I like what I like because I like it.... not because I'm a badge snob, fashion following, air head, sheeple.

:rofl: We have ALL become "sheeple" because that is exactly what the marketing people want. We have no control over it as it is ingrained in how modern society works. Also remember you can also be a reverse-snob and only like Å kodas (et al) because they are not "premium"... Marketing works both ways I'm afraid. Clever brain washers aren't they?

:rofl: We have ALL become "sheeple" because that is exactly what the marketing people want. We have no control over it as it is ingrained in how modern society works. Also remember you can also be a reverse-snob and only like Å kodas (et al) because they are not "premium"... Marketing works both ways I'm afraid. Clever brain washers aren't they?

How have we ? Have you been brain washed ? I certainly havn't. What you fail to know is that I have own'd Skodas, VWs, Audis, and even a SEAT. And funnily enough the majority have been either Skodas or Audis.... which are the extremes of the VAG group (discounting the hyper brands) So please explain to me what brainwashing has occure'd for my purchases ?

You may ask I've been brain washed to only by VAG ? Well.. if I had the knowledge I have of VAG vehicles for other brands I'd probably buy my next car outside of the VAG group. But because I have the tools, software, and orig ELSWIN PDF factory manuals for most recent VAG cars... I'm going to stick with VAG.

Now which bit marketing has brain washed me there ? I seem to see the above as a sensible choice in todays climate considering costs involved in running and maintaining a car when using tradesmen to fix issues rather than ones self.

We don't realise this but we have been brainwashed over decades to THINK an Audi (et al) looks better. It does not. It has lights, wheels, rubbing strips and wipers just like any other car. But the marketing and hype these marketing people create has created this awe insides us and a warm feeling when we think of the Dulux paint dog, or the tissue paper Labrador puppy, or that a VW is better than a Vauxhall. We can't help it.

To prove this: in China the Chinese buyers were very upset when the SUV maker called Porsche started selling sports cars there. Yes you read that right. Porsche launched the Cayenne there first and with the Chinese having NO brand prejudice at all, they just go with the flow. So when the 911 came along with an SUV nose grafted on the front you can imagine how upset they were!

So an Audi is not better looking than a Å koda. Your brain is just programmed to think so and you can't help it one bit.

I certainly wasn't' brainwashed???? I hated the old A6 especially the oversized rump, but at the same time I loved the A4s rear as it seemed to be almost made as a single piece. I also loved the Citroen Xantia line where the C pillar met the bootline. I love details and shapes in all things. Fabia mkII cute? Yes I think so, Sexy? I think not. No Brainwashing here, just personal opinion. btw my car doesn't have rubbing strips. And much as you believe in your Iipcress file theory, I am afraid you are incorrect with respect to me. I think for myself, as witnessed by my buying a 1 series amidst a lot of stick for doing so. It is a nice benefit that after many ugly cars, I have one that not only do I think looks nice, but so does the motoring press (and we all read that stuff otherwise have the Yeti forum would disappear if they removed all the great reviews they have had) and the many people I meet during my day. I have never had so many people compliment me on my car. Even though I loved my Abarth, nobody but petrolheads ever noticed it but I loved it (and it wasn't exactly Prada to look at either). perhaps one day I might be lucky enough to afford to buy cars based on appearance and own a second car for proper driving duties :D

I also know for a fact that I am considered a badge snob by some, which frankly is ridiculous considering some of the cars I have owned. I expected better form Briskoda to be honest. The lady doth protest too much that comes across here, isn't one of enthusiasts.and yes i retort a lot, but there are not many Audi owners on here by precentage. Gentle disagreement or discussion would have been the Briskoda of old, not rampant nepotism. I am on both Audi and BMW forums too (although mainly on the SKODA one) and they both discuss the other marques. Often praising virtues that the other has and they wish their particular marque would adopt. ie build and design of Audis in the BMW forums and RWD style handling and high engine tech of BMWs in the Audi forums. They both admire some aspect of the other marques cars, without vehement slagging off going on. They see each other as alternatives to each other, each with it's own strengths. Surely if Skoda wants to be taken as an upmarket car (and their steady price rising suggests they do) then Audi and BMW should be seen more in this way, than the 'enemy' from the lower middle class, or working class wannabees.

Yes Audi, BMW, Merc and Lexus are all hard to justify on cost alone and some people who can afford to spend £80K on an R8 may indeed prefer to buy a Gti/VRs instead and pocket the rest. it's their choice, but it doesn't meand the R8 owner made the wrong choice or that because of this, the R8 must be an inferior car ina almost every way but top speed.

How have we ? Have you been brain washed ? I certainly havn't. What you fail to know is that I have own'd Skodas, VWs, Audis, and even a SEAT. And funnily enough the majority have been either Skodas or Audis.... which are the extremes of the VAG group (discounting the hyper brands) So please explain to me what brainwashing has occure'd for my purchases ?

You may ask I've been brain washed to only by VAG ? Well.. if I had the knowledge I have of VAG vehicles for other brands I'd probably buy my next car outside of the VAG group. But because I have the tools, software, and orig ELSWIN PDF factory manuals for most recent VAG cars... I'm going to stick with VAG.

Now which bit marketing has brain washed me there ? I seem to see the above as a sensible choice in todays climate considering costs involved in running and maintaining a car when using tradesmen to fix issues rather than ones self.

I too have owned all the VAG marques (the main 4) and although the Golf mk IV was a lovely little thing in looks and build, I don't think it as handsome as the A4 I now have. I had 2 Scoobys when they first came out in the mid 90s and they were considered pig ugly. It was very quick for a car in those days and still is, but the Fabia boys are always going on about how they 'mullered' a Scooby in a race. Yer right, there are very few Fabias on here that could do that and the drivers in my experience would attempt to be so silly. .Perhaps the brainwashing is to tell people Skodas are the equals of other VAG marques? It could work both ways you know. Or perhaps we could be sensible and admit things are as they seem and yes Audis do cost more than the sum of their worth, but perhaps there is something else to enjoyed rather than weighing the total amount of metal making their car and comparing it to their own.

Actually I guess I am lucky, because my next car could easily be a Skoda and I wouldn't worry about the badge or the looks of it, unlike many members on here. So really I have a much wider window of car buying opportunity than many. Is that like the benifits of being bisexual? :D

People are missing my point and keep on explaining along rational lines why a person would choose one car over another. Read my first reply again - it is about LOOKS..

There are of course rational reasons why anything is better than something else. But this thread is about "LOOKS". (Fine as threads do it digressed into other aspects) but looks I'm afraid are a subjective thing (and I was replying to the original gist of this thread). And on that front "brainwashing" (as I naively called it) is a very subliminal thing were you are taught from very young that a BMW is better than a VW and an Audi is better than a Škoda. Again it is NOT rational and to discuss the merits of the actual bits and bobs that make an Audi better or worse than another car is to completely miss the point of the thread title. OR my point that most can't help but THINK an Audi looks better as that is just how their brain muscle has developed over decades.

People are missing my point and keep on explaining along rational lines why a person would choose one car over another. Read my first reply again - it is about LOOKS..

There are of course rational reasons why anything is better than something else. But this thread is about "LOOKS". (Fine as threads do it digressed into other aspects) but looks I'm afraid are a subjective thing (and I was replying to the original gist of this thread). And on that front "brainwashing" (as I naively called it) is a very subliminal thing were you are taught from very young that a BMW is better than a VW and an Audi is better than a Škoda. Again it is NOT rational and to discuss the merits of the actual bits and bobs that make an Audi better or worse than another car is to completely miss the point of the thread title. OR my point that most can't help but THINK an Audi looks better as that is just how their brain muscle has developed over decades.

Don't confuse what you believe to be the what the general consensus is.

What you fail to know is that I have own'd Skodas, VWs, Audis, and even a SEAT.

I have to admit I did not even look at your signature to realise you have an Audi (at the moment). Why should I? Why should that change what I said? I was making an argument BOTH WAYS about how looks work. I was not berating any specific brand or drumming the advantages of one over the other. I'm not a fool. I know beauty (to the beholder) is but one small aspect of buying a car. But for this argument (and to stay OT - which is difficult for some I know) I only argued the looks aspect as to why (some) people think an Audi looks better than a Å koda.

I only argued the looks aspect as to why (some) people think an Audi looks better than a Škoda.

Thats interesting the (some) comment. As you initial statement was that ALL people have been brainwashed.

Don't confuse what you believe to be the what the general consensus is.

We all have our views and I have no problem stating this is my view and could be my view alone. I thought that goes without saying.

There are of course rational reasons why anything is better than something else. But this thread is about "LOOKS". (Fine as threads do it digressed into other aspects) but looks I'm afraid are a subjective thing (and I was replying to the original gist of this thread). And on that front "brainwashing" (as I naively called it) is a very subliminal thing were you are taught from very young that a BMW is better than a VW and an Audi is better than a Å koda. Again it is NOT rational and to discuss the merits of the actual bits and bobs that make an Audi better or worse than another car is to completely miss the point of the thread title. OR my point that most can't help but THINK an Audi looks better as that is just how their brain muscle has developed over decades.

Most people in my experience prefer the looks of current Audis over the looks of current Skodas. I do not and have never bought a car on looks. I can not afford to do so. Perhaps you are in a fortunate enough position to do so. Nothing subliminal about my buying a car based on it's looks. Nothing. What so ever..... Nothing Nearly all heterosexual women that i know would say that George Clooney is a handsome man, he might not be their type, but they can see the underlying attractiveness that the man exudes. Certain features make a man attractive and these are fairly well known. it is the same with cars. A designer thinks which features are attractive and if it fits the overall design of the model (the practical stuff) then he or she may well fit bigger wheels to look sportier, more exhaust pipes to look racier, or even a more svelte bodyshape. The A4 has a svelte bodyshape and this is one of it's attractive qualities. it isn't brainwashing, it is designing a car that appeals to human nature. Personally i would prefer a more subtle front on the car, but overall I very much like the design. Skodas in general look functional. The Yeti in particular and that is one of it's strengths, it looks like what it's makers want you to perceive is it's inherent nature. ie ruggedness and toughness. I believe you have the cart and the horse the wrong way round. It might work with buying a particular type of burger, but it does not apply to me buying an expensive thing like a car. Jewllery yes, shoes, yes but cars? no.

Perhaps your mind is not as strong as mine in countering this subliminal buying message.

Edited by Lady Elanore

Thats interesting the (some) comment. As you initial statement was that ALL people have been brainwashed.

Well excuse me then. There must then be some people living in caves that never see any advertising or get anything marketed at them over their life span. Maybe my point is too subtle to understand. Or maybe you don't get how branding works and how subtle these differences are that they are trying to sell us. So yes ALL people will have an idea in their head about branding (and thus pecking order). Not because of how something looks necessarily but mainly about where it was pitched in the marketing. Which neatly just brings the argument back a full circle :no:

By the way i am off now for a bike ride wearing none logo'd clothing and a bike that is a bit of a dogs dinner and not at all fashionable. In fact Lance Armstrong rubbished the frame, hence it was cheap :D Long live the fashionistas i say :D

I believe you have the cart and the horse the wrong way round. It might work with buying a particular type of burger, but it does not apply to me buying an expensive thing like a car. Jewllery yes, shoes, yes but cars? no.

Perhaps your mind is not as strong as mine in countering this subliminal buying message.

:rofl: :rofl: Oh no! Seeing a poster for a Big Tasty Macdonalds burger has swayed me once or twice even though I KNOW it will be bad for me!

As I said before I realise there are meriad things we consider when buying a car. I can argue all of them as well. I'm not, as I'm desperately trying to stay OT. And I'll state again I'm just arguing the case about LOOKS.

And for the record my last car was an Audi. B)

Well excuse me then. There must then be some people living in caves that never see any advertising or get anything marketed at them over their life span. Maybe my point is too subtle to understand. Or maybe you don't get how branding works and how subtle these differences are that they are trying to sell us. So yes ALL people will have an idea in their head about branding (and thus pecking order). Not because of how something looks necessarily but mainly about where it was pitched in the marketing. Which neatly just brings the argument back a full circle :no:

Oh please .... :dull:

And on that front "brainwashing" (as I naively called it) is a very subliminal thing were you are taught from very young that a BMW is better than a VW and an Audi is better than a Škoda. Again it is NOT rational and to discuss the merits of the actual bits and bobs that make an Audi better or worse than another car is to completely miss the point of the thread title.

"Influencing" is probably a better description than "brainwashing". Further to the Porsche example, there's also the perception of the quality of interior plastics - the more soft-touch plastic there is, the higher quality the interior...apart from in other markets, where smooth shiny interiors are regarded as being better quality.

Of course, all the plastics are the same quality, it's just a different surface finish. Yet people have been influenced to believe that there is a difference.

A lot of people who have bought Yetis have done so because of the glowing reviews in motoring magazines and also because that cretin Clonkson likes them. But in reality they should have borrowed a Kuga for a fortnight, then Tiguan for a fortnight, then an X Trail for a fortnight etc. at the end of this they can make an informed decision about their car purchase. But when it comes to looks, we have an enormous advantage. i spend several hours on most days. LOOKING AT CARS. I can't help it. The ruddy things are everywhere. I see them whilst walking, I see them whilst driving, I see them whilst cycling (sadly they often don't see me!). I get to look for free, at what is nice and what isn't. I see the current A4 and I think well proportioned, elegant even, definitely svelte. I see a 3 series and I see interesting, awkward and controversial. I like them both in a way, but aesthetically the A4 wins hands down. Influenced about looks. No way. I like what I like. I think Jean Reno is sexy, but he has a face like a melted bloodhound. The fact remains, that on this occasion i happen to have a car that apart from here on Briskoda, the vast majority of people I meet and the vast majority of the written articles I read, agree. The A4 is a handsome car. This is indisputable fact. Sorry that it true. :(

"Influencing" is probably a better description than "brainwashing". Further to the Porsche example, there's also the perception of the quality of interior plastics - the more soft-touch plastic there is, the higher quality the interior...apart from in other markets, where smooth shiny interiors are regarded as being better quality.

Of course, all the plastics are the same quality, it's just a different surface finish. Yet people have been influenced to believe that there is a difference.

Of course there is a difference. They are not the same . A homemade burger like my mums is far tastier than the one from McDs. They are both made from Beef and have spices in them, they are not however of the same quality. Plastics for instance, serve the same purpose, but a soft tactile plastic is a nicer thing to touch than a brittle possibly more rattly plastic. I know which I prefer and the vast majority of car owners agree. Unless you know of any current Mercs, Jags etc that are decked out with the plastics i had in my 80s Strada? perhaps you should let them know so they can save money and undercut their rivals. on a similar subject sticking wood into a car is just the same. Audi and BMW wood is OK, but the stuff they put in Bentleys and Rolls is so much better. It's not just about cutting up a tree, but appearance and application. Few disagree either.

As lots of people know on here, I ran my car with a set of Audi Calito wheels up until fairly recently

For a while I thought they looked great, but in the end I replaced them as I thought they cheapened the look of the car :thumbup:

You can pay me the fiver later Felly

As lots of people know on here, I ran my car with a set of Audi Calito wheels up until fairly recently

For a while I thought they looked great, but in the end I replaced them as I thought they cheapened the look of the car :thumbup:

You can pay me the fiver later Felly

:rofl:

You don't need wheels to do that, silly :)

Edited by Lady Elanore

I sold my Audi A4 2.4 V6 Sport for a Skoda vRS (both petrol), a year ago. I find my Skoda faster, more economical, more pratical and nicer to look at - also it was 45% cheaper than the Audi (both bought new). Audi's are nice but I prefer owning and driving the Skoda.

But the Audi's engine would have been creamy smooth though. I had the 2.4 V6 in an A4 softop a few years back and though it wasn't particularly fast (and it certainly wasn't economical) it never, ever felt anything less than turbine smooth, right up to the rev limiter.

As for Audi's looking better than Skoda's, well yes they do, but the gap is closing a bit, mainly as Audi's aren't as pretty as they used to be. Where they are miles ahead though, is the interiors, they're just about the best in the business and knock spots off BMW's and even Mercedes.